June 9th Studio Update on "The Wizard of Oz" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 AM

Default June 9th Official Studio Update on "The Wizard of Oz"

from HomeMediaMagazine.com:

Warner Home Video Sept. 29 will release the MGM classic The Wizard of Oz for the first time on Blu-ray Disc.

The 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition contains nearly four hours of never-before-available bonus features and comes in numbered collectible packaging for a limited time only at $84.99 on Blu-ray (DVD $69.92); each ultimate edition includes a digital copy of the film. The title is also available in a two-disc special edition DVD at $24.98 with fewer extras.

The film has been entirely remastered for the high-definition format. Each of the original Technicolor camera negatives was scanned using 8K resolution. From this scan, a final 'capture' master was created in 4K, giving the Blu-ray twice the resolution of the master for the film's previous DVD release. The Blu-ray also features Dolby TrueHD audio.

Included exclusively on the Blu-ray is the original extended version of "If I Only Had a Brain," performed by Ray Bolger and remastered in high-definition, and the documentary MGM: When the Lion Roars.

In addition new-to-disc ultimate edition extras include The Dreamer of Oz, a remastered, biographical 1990 TV movie about Oz author L. Frank Baum on disc for the first time, starring John Ritter, Annette O’Toole and Rue McClanahan; Victor Fleming, Master Craftsman, a feature-length documentary produced specifically for this release about the Hollywood director who, in the same year, brought both Oz and Gone With the Wind to the screen; Hollywood Celebrates It’s Biggest Little Stars, a new featurette that stars seven of the original Munchkins and tells their story, culminating in them receiving their own Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; The Magic Cloak of Oz, the first video release of the complete 1914 silent film (produced by Baum), including lost footage; The Patchwork Girl of Oz, another 1914 Baum-produced, feature-length silent film; a sing-along track; reproductions of archival material, including renderings of the 1939 campaign; Behind the Curtain, a 52-page miniature coffee-table book, assembled by pre-eminent Oz historian John Fricke; and an exclusive, numbered Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary watch created specifically for the release.

Warner kicked off the release June 9 with a gala party and Ruby Slipper Collection exhibit at Los Angeles’ Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, complete with a seven-story hot-air balloon that will tour America in the months before the discs’ debut. High-end fashion designers re-interpreted the famous slippers for the exhibit.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...birthday-16050

Last edited by bluskiessmingatme; 06-10-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully this means we'll get an update soon of the North By Northwest release date too.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM

There is one thing I wanted to add on my own about this release. It says it includes the documentary of "When the Lion Roars". I think this will actually be an edited section of the documentary because the documentary itself is over 6 hours long and Warners sells it on its own DVD. The studio did this once before in including just a snippet of the documentary with a certain movie release (can't recall which one), using just the section of the doc about that one film. Another indicator is that the announcement says nearly four hours of bonus material...well, with all that they list above about it and the doc being six hours long, it just doesn't gel that the full doc is included.

Last edited by bluskiessmingatme; 06-10-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
Thanks for the update. Hopefully this means we'll get an update soon of the North By Northwest release date too.

Or, more importantly, Gone with the Wind.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM

wow.
sounds incredible.
I'm certain that the bitching over the cost will bring down the HDD servers though.
Can I defend it?
no I can't, but the last time I checked--years after I said NO MORE to the ridiculous rising prices of video games--they continue to go up.
I mean $90 for 1 game.
uhhh sure thing.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM

$84 focking 99? For a catalog title? I mean, sure, its a classic and we all want it on blu-ray...but come on!

This is a HUGE pass until they get the stand-alone version without all the wasteful BS and fancy packaging. Just the film, please. $19.99 or LESS. Its not like you need this right away. You've seen it, maybe a few times?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 AM

I'll definitely pick this up when they do a standard 2 or 3 disc release, but the collector's edition is just too rich for my blood. There's already more product coming out than I can afford. I'm going to assume the eventual "normal" release will be a digibook to milk us for the extr $3-5.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Apparantly comes with a watch, a limited edition watch - WITH REAL CRYSTALS!!!!

Lose the crappy watch and drop $10 (at least) from the price
I want this on BD badly, but a stupid watch?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 PM

For those of you are mad that its going to be the delux versions of OZ. You will get a choice. You can get the big package or just a 2 disc blu (disc 1 the movie and bonus features and disc 2 will be a digital copy) So this is a good thing.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn97 View Post
For those of you are mad that its going to be the delux versions of OZ. You will get a choice. You can get the big package or just a 2 disc blu (disc 1 the movie and bonus features and disc 2 will be a digital copy) So this is a good thing.
do you have a source for that?
I heard it was deluxe BD and 2 disc DVD?