'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Default 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' - High-Def Digest Review

In order to do them all justice, High-Def Digest is reviewing each film in the 'Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection' individually. We'll get into the nitty gritty of each movie as we cover each title, but overall, the complete set is an easy recommendation.

Well, he's done it! Josh finally reaches the end of his 'Star Trek' journey with his review of 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.' He says this series swansong rebounds nicely from the subpar fifth chapter, and provides some nice closure for the original cast. Once again, the video transfer is problematic, but the audio is solid, and the supplements, as usual, are plentiful.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2469...edcountry.html
Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 AM

Link = admin log in.

Edit: nevermind, it's fixed
Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Getting the whole set. Lost my Undiscovered Country Laser Disc recently. No need to get it on DVD

Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 AM

Just to throw this in ANY movie might look great right after sitting through Star Trek V. True story here.... When I some dental work done a long time ago, they had a TV for me to watch to distract me, he had Star Trek V playing (on VHS tape) and it worked! I chose that movie out of a stack of VHS tapes. I was just a glutton for punishment.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 AM

For my money, the best of the original crew's movies, and for that matter the entire Trek fim franchise. Film was very dark, and I loved the political undertones and themes about overcoming prejudice. Epic opening credit theme, great villian, entertaining space battle near the end, and a very emotion-inducing 'signature-writing' ending credits for the main cast.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Wrath of Khan is awesome but I enjoy this one more. Only surpassed by First Contact to the Trek film crown.

Personally, I wish it had been the Extended cut that was released, if only for the brief appearance of the awesome René Auberjonois, but it only one scene and a couple of shots that are missing so it's no great loss.

One thing that the reviewer didn't mention is that the Captain's Summit starts off with a few clips of the first 10 trek movies, including the as yet unreleased TNG films. Shots of the Enterprise-B being rocked by the Nexus in 'Generations' and the Battle of Sector 001 from 'First Contact' in beautiful HD glory are enough to whet my appetite for the TNG film releases. I can't wait.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM

From the review: "The mattes have been put back in place for the Blu-ray. To my eye, the framing looks perfectly fine here, and too loose on the earlier DVD."

In a long proud history of spouting BS, this was probably one of my favourite Zyber-isms.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM

Great film. The music was good in it too. And I really liked the look of the Excelsior ship so it was nice to see it in action in this film.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpfactor View Post

Personally, I wish it had been the Extended cut that was released, if only for the brief appearance of the awesome René Auberjonois, but it only one scene and a couple of shots that are missing so it's no great loss.
I could have sworn the theatrical cut contained the strategy scene in the President's office.

Spoiler

At the end of the film, the 'klingon' assassin is revealed to be Colonel West(Auberjonois), who was also in the strategy session at the President's office. Taking that scene out makes West's revealation at the end of the film meaningless to the audience, because they won't know who he is otherwise.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 AM

There were actually two cuts of the movie on home media: the VHS and the first DVD were the "re-worked" theatrical cut, with the Colonel West scene in the President's office and the Klingon assassin reveal at the end, and the two-disc DC released a few years ago, which had a few additional cosmetic changes on top of the aforementioned changes.