'Paycheck' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Default 'Paycheck' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate not only reviews 'Paycheck,' he makes a stunning confession as well. (Read the review to find out what it is.) He says this John Woo action flick never quite makes the grade, but can still be enjoyed as mindless entertainment. Great video and audio and a decent array of supplements enhance the disc. This one's worthy of a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2163/paycheck.html
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi, I'm Nate Boss, and I have a confession to make. I'm a Ben Affleck fan.

Say it isn't so...

Well, I am too, but only when he's behind the camera

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Nate, I must confess I'm a bit of an Affleck junkie, too. I really liked him in 'Changing Lanes' and (ducking) 'Pearl Harbor.' I also thought he was pretty good in 'Bounce' with Gwenyth Paltrow. Haven't seen 'Paycheck' yet; maybe I'll check it out someday.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM

I just saw this movie some week ago for the 2:nd time and again I was amazed how entertaining it was!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM

I'll pick this up when it's in a bargain bin somewhere since it received good AQ/PQ reviews.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbusiness View Post
I'll pick this up when it's in a bargain bin somewhere since it received good AQ/PQ reviews.
Same. I have never seen this but have had brief periods of desire to from time to time...very brief,lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM

I saw this a few years back and was definitely entertained. Most likely I'll pick it up soon. I have no problem with Affleck, he's not a very good actor however most of his projects were interesting enough for me. I've seen quite a bunch of his movies, Good Will Hunting, Armageddon, Changing Lanes, Pearl Harbor & Sum of All Fears (I'm a huge Jack Ryan fan). I thought he did a terrific job as director on Gone Baby Gone and looking forward to his recent movie with Russell Crowe.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM

...or the very rosy cheeks in close shots of Thurman, who looks aged beyond her years in these tight frames.

That always puzzled me; what's the deal with the unflattering makeup and lighting on Uma Thurman in this movie? She looks fabulous in both Kill Bill films, made around the same time. It's like she pissed off the DP or something.

Glad to hear the Blu-ray is nice (if from a dirty print). I hate seeing Philip K. Dick's stories turned into dumb action movies over and over, but shamefully I could never help being entertained by this one. It's like all twelve chapters of a cliffhanging matinee serial jammed into two hours. (How will Ben Affleck get out of this situation? Will the deadly conspiracy against him finally win with this motorcycle chase/sexy female assassin/machine that can see into the future? What use will he find for the key/paper clip/ball bearings? Learn these answers and more in the next thrilling chapter!)
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM

In terms of a writer, I can't see him getting any better than 'Good Will Hunting', talk about an introduction. In acting, 'Hollywoodland' he truly shines. I've always liked BA myself, he has some stinkers, but so do most.

'Paycheck' is a decent film with a nice transfer, worth a rent.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Going a bit far to call John Woo a "hack who hasn't put out a single memorable film during his time in America", no? I hated MI2, but rather liked Paycheck. And, certainly, Face Off and Hard Target are nothing if not "memorable".