'True Blood: Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Default 'True Blood: Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'True Blood: Complete First Season.' He had a blast watching this series. He says the Blu-rays feature great audio and video, along with some good supplements. Highly recommended, must own if you're a fan.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1498/trueblood_s1.html
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Interesting, seems like the reviwer here is more forgiving of true blood for using stylized "bad quality" video than was allowed for BattleStar Galactica. I plan on eventually picking this up though.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM

I have watched the first 7 episodes of this release. And the series is good, but not Sopranos great. But Anna Paquin is truly great in her role.

I seam to have a problem with this release and my player, since it's the same fault on every episode and every disc. My player is the Samsung BD1500. And when the episode starts, the enchanded view is automaticly started.

So every time I have to go into the menu, first press it on, then back to the menu and press it off. Then it stays off for the rest of the episode. This has never happened on any other of my BDs, and I have close about 400 of them by now (not all with bonusview off course).

Anybody else had the same problem?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Interesting, seems like the reviwer here is more forgiving of true blood for using stylized "bad quality" video than was allowed for BattleStar Galactica. I plan on eventually picking this up though.
As an owner of this show I would say that the reason that the stylized quality gets a pass here is because its only on some of the shots. With Battlestar Galatica it is persistant and not done nearly as well. This is a great release and I would recommend it to most people. If is a fun interesting twist on the vampire mythology without taking itslef too seroiusly nor violating and major vampire rules like a certain recent film. i.e. No sparklies when a vampire steps into the light.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM

I bought this BD set as a blind buy and am happy I did. Great show, although a bit heavy on the sex scenes. I'm no prude but wow there's a lot in just one season!! Very much looking forward to the second season on BD. Don't have HBO so I'm in for a wait.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM

My wife has the first seven books in the series. She wanted to get this show on video, so I told her if I had to watch it with her, it must be on BD.

Quote:
All tracks are utilized, with specific sounds spanning various channels, with special emphasis on the rear speakers.
Expanded to 6.1 using PLIIx on my system, I hear the "voices in my head" every time Sookie reads thoughts.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM

i rented the first disc from netflix, then my wife and i had to keep going so we watched the rest on hbo on demand, great show, looking forward to the s2 premiere next sunday
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Crap, Netflix doesn't have this available for stream like they do Heroes. I was hoping to give this a shot on DD before buying. I've compramised on Netflix 1DVD at a time with bluray since the surcharge is only $2.00 at that subscription level. But I've got Hellraiser on DVD out now, so it'll have to wait till GF & I have a chance to watch it.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM

great show but doubt il ever rewatch it
excited for 2nd season definetly
Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhocky19 View Post
great show but doubt il ever rewatch it
excited for 2nd season definetly
i felt the same way, then had to delve into the extras. the show has GREAT replay value. i was surprised.