'Anaconda" - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Default 'Anaconda" - High-Def Digest Review

Tom has reviewed that campy slockfest 'Anaconda.' He says it's still a laughable mess. This Blu-ray has decent video, solid audio, no supplements, and an exclusive link to the standard Sony BD-Live holding page. Totally skippable.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2232/anaconda.html
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Awful film, but hilarious none the less.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 AM

I don't care to re-visit the film.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 AM

I picked this up on half.com the day it came out for like $12, totally worth it at that price. Totally cheesey and fun movie IMO
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 AM

Wow, comedy gold at the end of the movie review, nice job Tom!

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 AM

I always liked this movie a lot. The special effects and plot are pure cheese, done with a bit of character, something that Michael Bay would never touch. And I don't remember a single explosion, much less many, so how could you compare it to Michael Bay's compiled statistics on what sells tickets to teenage boys that he calls movies? Of course this movie isn't for everyone. I found a lot of funny moments in it though and felt like what I saw and felt was the intent. I know I'm not gonna change any minds here, but with all the bashing I felt like I needed to cast a vote for liking it. I always liked Roger Ebert's take on it, he gives it 3.5/4 stars. I disagree with him as much as the next guy but when we do agree, he puts it well. I guess my point is that not everyone hates it, and with the high video and audio score, I think that "For Fans Only" would be a more proper rating. In fact I think any movie has its fans somewhere, and if it has high A/V ratings, it should get the "Fans Only" rating no matter how much the reviewer hates the movie itself. I hate Larry the Cable Guy and would give any of his movies maybe 1/2 a star for being technically sound, but with good A/V ratings, I'd still say "Fans Only", they know who they are. What else would that rating be good for?

Granted I probably won't pick it up release date, but if I see it for $15 or less I'll pick it up. While we're on snakes, I WOULD pick up Snakes on a Plane release date. I was surprised it didn't get an HD release along with the DVD initially. Still best expensive B movie in HD would probably be Slither on HD-DVD in my opinion (Evil Dead 2 is wonderful but was actually cheap).

BTW if you do watch Anaconda, look for the scene where the waterfall is going backwards because they played a shot backwards to get the shot they needed. If that isn't B movie technique I don't know what is. Anything trying to be a blockbuster for real would have reshot it, or had someone digitally touch up the waterfall to run the right way. I probably won't be back to this thread so don't waste too much typing arguing with me, I would say if you are into camp, give it a rent and make up your own mind at least.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 AM

Awesome review, Landy. Very funny. I agree that the movie is completely terrible. The snake just doesn't seem like a snake at all and Jon Voight's character was ridiculous.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 AM

JLO's old nose makes an appearance in this flick.... ah the memories.
I guess she must have gotten it done between U-Turn and Out of Sight?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM

this movie is so bad it's good, saw it opening night, not worth buying though
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Love the "Bottom Line" rating, Tom. That had me rolling.