'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Default 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock' - High-Def Digest Review

In order to do them all justice, High-Def Digest is reviewing each film in the 'Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection' individually. We'll get into the nitty gritty of each movie as we cover each title, but overall, the complete set is an easy recommendation.

Josh may be headed for a Star Trek hangover as he hits the midway point with 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.' He says this isn't the best Trek, but it's still underrated. This Blu-ray is where disappointment comes a knockin,' with problematic video, but pretty good audio, and tons of extras. This is still the best 'Search For Spock' has ever looked on home video.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2464...ek3_spock.html
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM

this is the one film I've never seen, I'm most excited to finally see search for spock.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
this is the one film I've never seen, I'm most excited to finally see search for spock.
Its actually a pretty good film. Pretty darn funny in spots too.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Very underrated Trek film in my opinion, and is much better than it's mixed fan reception would indicate. Great character moments, a competent villain, and the theme of undying friendship and sacrifice. For my money, it's a more enjoyable film to watch than The Voyage home, which was a good entry but always felt it was a bit overrated. A bit bummed that it has lower quality in the visual department compared to its predecessors. Why did this one( and apparently the following films from what I've read) get that god-awful DNR treatment?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post

"How many fingers am I holding up?"
'That's not very damn funny.'
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

I got sick to death of learning about humpback whales in all the educational tie in crap for Part IV. That always seemed a like a sneaky way to advertise in schools.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM

I never could enjoy this one very much except for

"I hear something"
"5..............4...................3......... ....
"what it is saying?"
2................1..............BOOOOOOOOOM!

other than that it's just a bad movie imo.
when you're dead you're dead.
except at the movies of course.
saw it in the theater, and dreaded seeing how they were going to resurrect Spock.
first they killed Spock, and then they blew up the Enterprise.
I mean they sure seemed intent on killing the show if you ask me.
and even Kirstie demanded too much money, so we got stuck with that awful Saavik.
I mean why even bother?
pretty pathetic if you ask me.
I along with all the fans I knew who saw it pretty much hated it with a passion.
all these years later, it still blows chunks.
sorry.
(thank god for part IV is all I have to say)
Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I never could enjoy this one very much except for

"I hear something"
"5..............4...................3......... ....
"what it is saying?"
2................1..............BOOOOOOOOOM!

other than that it's just a bad movie imo.
when you're dead you're dead.
except at the movies of course.
saw it in the theater, and dreaded seeing how they were going to resurrect Spock.
first they killed Spock, and then they blew up the Enterprise.
I mean they sure seemed intent on killing the show if you ask me.
and even Kirstie demanded too much money, so we got stuck with that awful Saavik.
I mean why even bother?
pretty pathetic if you ask me.
I along with all the fans I knew who saw it pretty much hated it with a passion.
all these years later, it still blows chunks.
sorry.
(thank god for part IV is all I have to say)
This is Star Trek, the concept of our very existence is challenged throughout the series. I see nothing wrong with bringing Spock back, and they certainly could have done a worse job then they did as far as the plot device to revive him. Killing off the enterprise is not so dissimilar to killing off Spock, it deals with the concept of death and loss, issues we as humans face on a daily basis. Not sure what's the deal with Alley vs. Curtis, Alley was only in one prior movie so it's not like she was around long enough for her to grow on us.

Part IV, while a 'fun' movie, didn't exactly live up to the name 'STAR Trek' considering most of the movie was on earth. It's hook was seeing these humans from the future interacting with what was then modern day earth, so there was obvious potential for humorous situations based on that, but I'm not sure why it's considered so far above the Search for Spock.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM

I agree with Arakidin. They never should have killed spock off to begin with and the plot device they used to bring him back was absurd. They could have very easily left a cliff hanger at the end of the 2nd one where Spock is fighting for his life due to the radiation. Then you have room to go either way for the third movie based on Nimoy's decision.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
formerly Blu Christmas

What big death is he referring to in the review?

Spoiler
The Enterprise?