'The Sky Crawlers' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Default 'The Sky Crawlers' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'The Sky Crawlers.' He says this is a fascinating anime, but it's not for everyone. This Blu-ray features solid audio and video, but a somewhat disappointing set of extras. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2212/skycrawlers.html
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Been looking forward to this. Can't wait till my copy arrives from Amazon.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 AM

thanks for the review nate!

Amazon.ca just shipped my order today. Hopefully I'll have it to view tomorrow or friday latest.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 AM

I watched this last week. So boring. Not really surprising from Mamoru Oshii.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Nate, that 3-star scores seems awfully low considering the nice things you wrote about the movie in your review. What's up with that?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I was bored by this movie, and I love Oshii's Angel's Egg and Avalon.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Nate, that 3-star scores seems awfully low considering the nice things you wrote about the movie in your review. What's up with that?
i was debating 3.5, 3, 3.5, 3 for quite some time. i chose 3 to reflect my thoughts, but i don't think star ratings matter as much as the words that express the goods and the bads, personally. i enjoyed the flick, and my belief that it will turn off many people didn't factor into the medium range score (my scores are my thoughts, not what i think others will think).

perhaps i'm just a real hard ass lately, with that slew of the lesser films i've been volunteering for... i know with one of my upcoming reviews, a few fans will be quite mad at how it didn't get high scores but the words will express a not very flattering take, for sure.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Which title is that?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
i was debating 3.5, 3, 3.5, 3 for quite some time. i chose 3 to reflect my thoughts, but i don't think star ratings matter as much as the words that express the goods and the bads, personally.
Oh, I agree. The star rating scale is the bane of any reviewer's existence. The text is of course more important. I just didn't see anything in the text of this one to indicate that much dissatisfaction with the movie, that might account for such a low score.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen the movie, and have no personal opinions about it. There just seemed to be a disconnect between what you wrote and the score you gave it.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 PM

why then not simply do away with the film rating?

of course that would probably not stop either überfans or those bored silly by X to nag about the PQ being wrong even more just to compensate for it, but hey..