'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Default 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has harkened back to the summer of '91 (Mannnn do I remember that one!) to review 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.' He says this movie hasn't aged all that well, but if you were a movie fanatic that year, it probably doesn't matter, nostalgia is in control for this one. This Blu-ray features fine video, very good audio, and some fun extras. Recommended. Highly recommended if Robin Hood is the bee's knees in your book.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2127...cethieves.html
Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM

That review reminded me that I want The Rocketeer on BD. Hell, I'll take a anamorphic DVD at this point.

Anyway, I still enjoy this flick. Though, partly because Rickman still steals the show.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 05-26-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM

I really want to go and figure out who invented DNR and punch him/her in the face.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Funny, the review calls the movie chaste/safe... yet it has a comedic rape scene in it. When's the last time you saw one of those?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
That review reminded me that I want The Rocketeer on BD. Hell, I'll take a anamorphic DVD at this point.

Anyway, I still enjoy this flick. Though, partly because Rickman still steals the show.
I'm with you on this one. The Rocketeer could sound great on high def.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 AM

This movie is cheesy and horribnly outdated....

......... and I love it

There's so many unintentionly funny scenes.

"Duncan....... bread."

"Tooooo the Treeeesssss!!!!"
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
This movie is cheesy and horribnly outdated....

......... and I love it

There's so many unintentionly funny scenes.

"Duncan....... bread."

"Tooooo the Treeeesssss!!!!"
Yeah this movie is far from accurate and not exactly oscar material but it is damn entertaining I don't care what anyone says.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 AM

Everywhere by me did not have it. Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Video Mania, Streetside Records, Target, and Walmart. I will try BB this weekend. I graduated in 1991 so yes indeed I remember this year and this movie to go along with it.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM

I have to say that it was funny how much I agreed with this review. Even before reading it, I had watched this blu-ray release of the film and had the same basic opinions. Video isn't that great by blu-ray standards by any means, audio is good but not great, and it's more for fans and to be watched keeping in mind how you first felt in 1991 watching it. I remember Robin Hood being one of my very favorite films at the time. One of the few handfuls of movies that I actually owned on VHS. At the time watching it on a hi-fi VCR hooked up to a couple of stereo speakers was an audio visual treat for me. But aforementioned, although there are definitely parts of the film that haven't aged all that great, you have to watch it with your 1991 goggles on so to speak. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's terrific fun, but if you had never seen it before and were watching today I would guess you wouldn't be overly impressed. I've always loved Michael Kamen's score in this movie. Being a huge fan of movie scores, I'll always miss his work. I do think Warner should have given Robin Hood a much better blu-ray treatment. A HD remastering and clean up of the video would have been nice. Also, possibly some new interviews and special features. Or simple to have included some of the special features in HD. I also remember that Bryan Adams music video for "Everything I Do" was pretty great. It was shot with them performing in the woods inter-cut with scenes from the movie. This used to play behind the closing credits on the old VHS. The live performance of this song at the castle that is included is just not very good. It doesn't sound right, the video work is poor, and it's not how you'd like to remember a great ballad like that. I also agree that the theatrical cut of the film should have been included. Many times I love extended cuts of movies, but this is NOT one of those times. The added scenes in Robin Hood really detract from the film, are poorly acted, and in many cases take away what seriousness the film as a whole has in the theatrical cut. In particular there seems to be mostly Sheriff of Nottingham scence, most of which are ridiculous. I remember the summer of 1991 being a great time. I was just a kid in middle school back then, but it was great fun. As mentioned above, I am a big fan of The Rocketeer that came out that same summer. Seems the only release that Disney can make of that film is a DVD with absolutely horrible audio/video quality that isn't even anamorphic widescreen. At any rate, all this said about Robin Hood, I will say that it is an improvement over the DVD. If not only a very slight improvement. So I can't complain. It just bothers me when studios release titles to blu-ray simply for the sake of releasing them and don't give them the proper high definition treatments they deserve. It makes them appear to only be out to grab money from the public's pockets, which may not be far from the truth. In the end though, I'm glad to have been able to replace my Robin Hood Prince of Thieves DVD with another blu-ray. There are still so SO may titles from all of the studios that need to be released.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Sad that the video presentation is lacking, but I'll still pick this up.

+1,000,000 for a Rocketeer BD!