Blu-ray has broadened my horizons - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Default Blu-ray has broadened my horizons

Basically, two years ago I stopped buying DVDs except for TV series, and concentrated on Blu-ray. I started out with a few films I loved, but never owned on Blu-ray (Unforgiven, Under Siege etc.) and got hooked, ordering more and more each month.

To sate my desire for high-def films, I bought anything decent, including the older catalogue stuff, the Criterion Collection and stuff I would never have even considered on DVD (such as Mad Detective). Thanks to this, my knowledge of cinema has expanded exponentially and my tastes have matured to appreciate a wider range of films - when I purchased DVDs, it was pretty much just new Hollywood stuff.

I wouldn't say I'm a film snob now - I still happily buy Hollywood's offerings - but that thanks to Blu-ray, my head isn't so stuck in the sand. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Blu-rays sort of opened my eyes up a bit also and also made me appreciate favourite films. The restorations of the earlier Disney classics have been great to watch too (and remember times when i was a kid when i used to watch them), since the last time i saw pinocchio would of been on a crappy, taped off telly VHS
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 PM

wow!
that's a great story.
I wish there were like 200 more people on here that had experienced the exact same thing.
movies are movies; old or new there are tons of awesome films from the past that will get you craving more.
I love my eye and ear candy also, but couldn't live without my older classics.
I dream about the day when all my favorite old films make their way to bd.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judesalmon View Post
Basically, two years ago I stopped buying DVDs except for TV series, and concentrated on Blu-ray. I started out with a few films I loved, but never owned on Blu-ray (Unforgiven, Under Siege etc.) and got hooked, ordering more and more each month.

To sate my desire for high-def films, I bought anything decent, including the older catalogue stuff, the Criterion Collection and stuff I would never have even considered on DVD (such as Mad Detective). Thanks to this, my knowledge of cinema has expanded exponentially and my tastes have matured to appreciate a wider range of films - when I purchased DVDs, it was pretty much just new Hollywood stuff.

I wouldn't say I'm a film snob now - I still happily buy Hollywood's offerings - but that thanks to Blu-ray, my head isn't so stuck in the sand. Anyone else have similar experiences?
I was like you in many ways. At first, I would just buy certain movies on sd dvd and they were usually that particular year's summer/fall movie. But blu-ray really caught my attention when it was being hyped up in the beginning. I knew I had to get one. Never owned a hi def tv before until I bought my . I have not looked back ever since. It also expanded my tastes for other movies as well. My love for hi def and blu-ray made me want to get my player. I can deal with watching cable programming in standard defintion...but my movies and games must be in all its high def glory.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Former Member

with the limited options still on the format (though more weekly are coming), it's been that you had to go for what has been put out, or you'd have nothing to watch. i, too, have refused to buy DVD for some time now, save for animated stuff, for the eventual kiddo room.

I think there are many people in your very shoes, who don't realize their limited options are making them have to expand their horizons and try new things. you're getting a forced education on film history, and getting to view the things you never though you would before. Big ups to you on discovering the depths of cinema, and keep on going on the journey!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 AM

i just got my first BD player this christmas, and my Blu-ray collection is already bigger than my DVD collection

it's like there's finally a physical medium worth owning

i always felt that DVDs were a bit cheap and poor quality, so now with Blu-ray, i can justify spending the money
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM

I feel the same way as the OP, I'm now more interested in foreign films as well. I also find my interest in HT growing as well and will most likely invest in a projector and higher quality speakers by year end.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 AM

Maybe it's an age thing but I experienced the feeling in 2000 when dvd's of older movies (say before 1980) became available in a steady stream and it finally allowed me the opportunity to watch those movies in the original aspect ratio and with a clean and clear soundtrack. Documentaries, running audio commentaries, original storyboards, photographs, graphics, posters, teasers trailers etc. were very much appreciated. With dvd everything about movies seemed fresh, exciting and more interesting than before. Many of these features may have been previously available on hugely expensive - and rather cumbersome - Laserdisc, but dvd's user-friendliness and comparatively modest prices allowed me for the first time to put together an extensive movie library (800 titles or so up until now).

I'm as big on blu-ray as everybody here (80 titles so far), but my horizon expanding days as far as movies go I firmly credit to my friend the dvd.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 AM

I kind of went the other way - I primarily bought Criterions, classics and the more serious fare on DVD. But now with Blu-Ray I am watching Underworld and Incredible Hulk just to experience the fantastic sound and visuals.

So I'm giving Hollywood action movies much more of a chance. Normally I'd never even waste my time with a movie like "Wanted" but on Blu-Ray I check it out now (great sound!).
Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Maybe it's an age thing but I experienced the feeling in 2000 when dvd's of older movies (say before 1980) became available in a steady stream and it finally allowed me the opportunity to watch those movies in the original aspect ratio and with a clean and clear soundtrack. Documentaries, running audio commentaries, original storyboards, photographs, graphics, posters, teasers trailers etc. were very much appreciated. With dvd everything about movies seemed fresh, exciting and more interesting than before. Many of these features may have been previously available on hugely expensive - and rather cumbersome - Laserdisc, but dvd's user-friendliness and comparatively modest prices allowed me for the first time to put together an extensive movie library (800 titles or so up until now).

I'm as big on blu-ray as everybody here (80 titles so far), but my horizon expanding days as far as movies go I firmly credit to my friend the dvd.
I only started buying movies when I got my first DVD player (10 years ago), so that was a big change for me, but due to limited funds, I ended up buying stuff that was in my comfort zone, so there was no chance to be adventurous (I have a few Criterion DVDs, but this is down to luck rather than judgement).

Now I'm older and money is not as tight as it was back then (so yeah, it probably is an age thing), I've been able to experiment a bit more, getting films outside the Hollywood comfort zone I once inhabited.