Should Sony use DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Should Sony drop Dolby TrueHD for DTS-HD Master?
Yes, Drop Dolby TrueHD for DTS-HD Master! 50 58.82%
No, I'm fine with how it is 3 3.53%
Doesn't matter, either way 30 35.29%
Other 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Should Sony use DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD?

I guess one the representatives for Sony made a post interested in what people at BluRay.com. Saying:
Quote:
This is one of those rare opportunities in which your direct input could influence the policy of the home video division of a major Hollywood studio.
I think its cool Sony is taking an iterest in their consumers. Other studios could take notice *ahem Warner*.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Doesn't matter as long as they continue to not utilize DIALNORM...
Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM

DTS HD:MA, just so people that use a optical connection still benefit with the 1.5mbps core.

Don't care otherwise.

Last edited by Filler; 05-26-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM

I know the argument. It's all lossless. I'm sorry though, the way it's mastered the codecs or whatever it is, my DTS master soundtracks (comparing new releases) all sound better to my ears. Call me ignorant or whatever, its how it sounds.

Plus there's more chance of a 7.1 mix with DTS.

I chose DTS.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Funny that Dolby Digital was practically standard on all DVDs, and the ones with DTS were rare and far in between.

Now it seems i't the other way around, with more DTS HD-MA discs popping up than DolbyTrueHD... It's like, now if you're able to decode DTHD, by default you can also decode DTS HDMA, so they go with the latter.

I like this. I've always preferred DTS even in the DVD-era, and up to this point, BDs with DTS HDMA tend to have a more aggresive and rich sound to my ears, specially in the bass. I'd be happy if it was the new norm.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
DTS HD:MA, just so people that use a optical connection still benefit with the 1.5mbps core.
Exactly.

Dolby True HD would end up occupying more space, as it would have to include another track just for legacy.

It's just a better built codec. They won this round.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
I guess one the representatives for Sony made a post interested in what people at BluRay.com. Saying:
Warner has taken notice and is improving. Many complained about the lack of lossless audio, all newly produced Blu-ray releases are coming out lossless. People complained about audio defaulting to Dolby Digital, they have also changed that to automatically start up as Dolby TrueHD.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Nothing beats Uncompressed PCM tracks. Nothing.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM

I don't think that DTS support was mandatory in the DVD era, with only some players having it - which is why it wasn't on many discs.

I remember the days of specifically importing DTS titles as I could decode it form the early days....

Now with Blu Ray - i believe DTS decoding is part of the spec, so all players have it hence many many more titles...

doesn't quite explain the complete switch over - but maybe someone else has more info on this.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
I know the argument. It's all lossless. I'm sorry though, the way it's mastered the codecs or whatever it is, my DTS master soundtracks (comparing new releases) all sound better to my ears. Call me ignorant or whatever, its how it sounds.

Plus there's more chance of a 7.1 mix with DTS.

I chose DTS.
I'll call you a victem of the placebo effect, I'm saying this assuming you have a proper lossless setup with compatable AVR and decent speakers. I'm fine either way, though I'm happy with TrueHD... One thing for Dolby, their codec is more efficient, far more it would seem given what WB was able to do with TDK. That leaves more room for more features with the same quality audio.