'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Default 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom Landy has reviewed 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.' He says this is an intriguing film, though it does have a few minor story bumps. This Blu-ray has five star video and audio and several lifetimes' worth of bonus features. This is one of the first MUST OWN titles of 2009.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2224...minbutton.html
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM

So, soooooo good.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:47 PM

The movie must be a lot better than the book... Because the book is 21 pages, it's interesting but it fails to truely take hold of you. Honestly I was happiest with the ending which managed to find some humanity, but it was all so brief given it's short story constraints. I've read far better short stories though, The Lottery for instance.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Ok, I had to have 1st post. But now that I read the review. The only thing Landy didnt enjoy was the Daisy accident. And that knocks it down to 4 out of 5?

First of all, that scene is vital to the whole story. Unusual circumstances? its kinda alot to the with the whole theme of the movie. Anyways I wasnt sure if it was a masterpiece until that scene. And that completed my thoughts.

Anyways no doubt in my mind it's 5/5.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 PM

I hope hope hope this exact version is released in Mexico
Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
I hope hope hope this exact version is released in Mexico
I doubt doubt doubt it
Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
Ok, I had to have 1st post. But now that I read the review. The only thing Landy didnt enjoy was the Daisy accident. And that knocks it down to 4 out of 5?

First of all, that scene is vital to the whole story. Unusual circumstances? its kinda alot to the with the whole theme of the movie. Anyways I wasnt sure if it was a masterpiece until that scene. And that completed my thoughts.

Anyways no doubt in my mind it's 5/5.
I think it had characterization flaws. All the while, as everything kept moving on by and Benjamin kept growing younger, we never learned much about anyone, aside from the drunken ship captain. I also thought it was a little on the long side, which comes down to pacing issues. Am I saying I didn't like it? Nope. I thought it was great. But not a 5 out of 5 for me, either.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM

I thought it was a 3/5 movie. Technically, from a visual effects perspective, it's a masterpiece, but the film itself was just 'okay'. It told a nice little story but it was all very pedestrian and underwhelming. It had nothing to say by the end. Forest Gump (which is the same film BTW) is 10 times the film this is. I very much doubt it will go down as a classic. It's not even up there with Fincher's best work... more like Panic Room than Se7en, Fight Club or Zodiac.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
I think it had characterization flaws. All the while, as everything kept moving on by and Benjamin kept growing younger, we never learned much about anyone, aside from the drunken ship captain. I also thought it was a little on the long side, which comes down to pacing issues. Am I saying I didn't like it? Nope. I thought it was great. But not a 5 out of 5 for me, either.
Characterization flaws? Could you be more specific? What character needed to be fleshed out more for the movie to be more realized?

Pedestrian? pacing? I'm sorry but all these opinions are purely subjective.

This movie is alot more celebral, subtle and layered then any other movie out there. It is pure poetry in every frame and every word. So it obviously takes a different mindset then say Forest Gump which is throwing visual gags and jokes at you every 5 minutes. Not to diss Forest Gump which is a classic for ITS time. But thank god filmmaking can be mainstream now while still being very subversive and subtle.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Good film, but certainly not perfect. 4/5 sounds about right IMO.