Will Paramount bother? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Will Paramount bother?

First of all, I am a huge Star Trek: Next Gen fan. I have the DVD set of the series, but I would like to see it in blu-ray. I have heard that it can be remastered in blu-ray, except the special effect scenes, which would need to be reshot (as they have been transfered to DVD?).

My question is, do you think Paramount will go through the trouble and money to turn this show into blu-ray? And I mean 'true' blu-ray, including redoing the shots if that is what is necessary.

I would love to see it in blu-ray, but I would only buy it if they did a true remastering. I would be willing to spend good money on each season, even the high price of the first season of TOS on HD-DVD.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 PM

Man I hope so! I was watching some of the dvds lately and the effects, even on DVD are pretty awful looking. I can only imagine how horrendous it would look on BD. I'm sure it will happen, that way they can justify the $100+ per season again.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Paramount might eventually release this. They will look at the costs and how many season sets of similar shows sell (ST:TOS, X-Files, etc.) At some point the sales will justify the costs. They also can recoup some costs with syndication money as the HD releases will likely fetch some coin from HD broadcasters.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
Paramount might eventually release this. They will look at the costs and how many season sets of similar shows sell (ST:TOS, X-Files, etc.) At some point the sales will justify the costs. They also can recoup some costs with syndication money as the HD releases will likely fetch some coin from HD broadcasters.
Your logic makes sense.... but just look at what has been released and what has NOT been released. There is very little logic behind it or rhyme and reason. Seemes pretty random to me and they continue to sit on some of the best stuff.

So basically, you might as well throw a dart at a board with the names of every film and show ever made on it. That seems to be how they are doing it. If they were going to use sales figures, then half of the JUNK thats been released wouldnt have come out. Only the popular stuff would have. So, they cant be using that logic!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Your logic makes sense.... but just look at what has been released and what has NOT been released. There is very little logic behind it or rhyme and reason. Seemes pretty random to me and they continue to sit on some of the best stuff.

So basically, you might as well throw a dart at a board with the names of every film and show ever made on it. That seems to be how they are doing it. If they were going to use sales figures, then half of the JUNK thats been released wouldnt have come out. Only the popular stuff would have. So, they cant be using that logic!
I don't think it's the same as deciding to release a catalog title. The restoration of TOS was a major undertaking which, as mentioned before, encompassed multimedia rights as well as home video, not to mention it set a benchmark for future restorations of old shows. If they were to restore TNG, they wouldn't just earn money from selling it to a network and putting it on blu, they'd also earn money through digital sales of individual episodes, as well as offering many episodes for free through ad-supported websites (like TOS is). This conglomeration of media revenue would ensure they'd easily make up the costs of the restoration. You're right it's not as simple as them waking up and deciding "let's do this", but it's not quite to your extreme either. As usual, the answer probably sits somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM

I don't think I'd buy complete seasons, but I would buy those "collections" like the one of Q, or The Borg...those were cool.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Voyager and Deep Space Nine on blu ray would be purchases for me.

Is there any news on the other Trek series beyond TOS coming to blu ray?

I hope so. I know there is a lot of challenges with the episodes being on video rather than film.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM

It would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Basically I'm hoping that the star trek original series will sell very well, if it does paramount might well take a chance on remastering TNG.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Well, the problem is they don't just have to redo the special effects. Unlike the original Star Trek series which was mastered on film, they would have to gather all of the original film elements and and recut the episodes from scratch, since the show was only mastered on 480i video. The same problem is with X-Files.

It's not impossible (unless they can't recover all of the raw film footage) but I'd be surprised if they did. Maybe they will do it for the best episodes and release some kind of "Essential Star Trek: The Next Generation" set or something.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
First of all, I am a huge Star Trek: Next Gen fan. I have the DVD set of the series, but I would like to see it in blu-ray. I have heard that it can be remastered in blu-ray, except the special effect scenes, which would need to be reshot (as they have been transfered to DVD?).

My question is, do you think Paramount will go through the trouble and money to turn this show into blu-ray? And I mean 'true' blu-ray, including redoing the shots if that is what is necessary.

I would love to see it in blu-ray, but I would only buy it if they did a true remastering. I would be willing to spend good money on each season, even the high price of the first season of TOS on HD-DVD.
Geez, let's not give Paramount any more ideas on how to milk Star Trek.I noticed that they now are releasing episodes a fourth and possible fifth time with these "Best of" collections. How many more times can you release "City on the Edge of Forever" or "Best of Both Worlds?"