Will Paramount bother? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 311
Default Will Paramount bother?

First of all, I am a huge Star Trek: Next Gen fan. I have the DVD set of the series, but I would like to see it in blu-ray. I have heard that it can be remastered in blu-ray, except the special effect scenes, which would need to be reshot (as they have been transfered to DVD?).

My question is, do you think Paramount will go through the trouble and money to turn this show into blu-ray? And I mean 'true' blu-ray, including redoing the shots if that is what is necessary.

I would love to see it in blu-ray, but I would only buy it if they did a true remastering. I would be willing to spend good money on each season, even the high price of the first season of TOS on HD-DVD.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 PM
CorruptedDragon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,093
Default

Man I hope so! I was watching some of the dvds lately and the effects, even on DVD are pretty awful looking. I can only imagine how horrendous it would look on BD. I'm sure it will happen, that way they can justify the $100+ per season again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
comixguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,897
Default

Paramount might eventually release this. They will look at the costs and how many season sets of similar shows sell (ST:TOS, X-Files, etc.) At some point the sales will justify the costs. They also can recoup some costs with syndication money as the HD releases will likely fetch some coin from HD broadcasters.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
RoadLizard's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
Paramount might eventually release this. They will look at the costs and how many season sets of similar shows sell (ST:TOS, X-Files, etc.) At some point the sales will justify the costs. They also can recoup some costs with syndication money as the HD releases will likely fetch some coin from HD broadcasters.
Your logic makes sense.... but just look at what has been released and what has NOT been released. There is very little logic behind it or rhyme and reason. Seemes pretty random to me and they continue to sit on some of the best stuff.

So basically, you might as well throw a dart at a board with the names of every film and show ever made on it. That seems to be how they are doing it. If they were going to use sales figures, then half of the JUNK thats been released wouldnt have come out. Only the popular stuff would have. So, they cant be using that logic!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Your logic makes sense.... but just look at what has been released and what has NOT been released. There is very little logic behind it or rhyme and reason. Seemes pretty random to me and they continue to sit on some of the best stuff.

So basically, you might as well throw a dart at a board with the names of every film and show ever made on it. That seems to be how they are doing it. If they were going to use sales figures, then half of the JUNK thats been released wouldnt have come out. Only the popular stuff would have. So, they cant be using that logic!
I don't think it's the same as deciding to release a catalog title. The restoration of TOS was a major undertaking which, as mentioned before, encompassed multimedia rights as well as home video, not to mention it set a benchmark for future restorations of old shows. If they were to restore TNG, they wouldn't just earn money from selling it to a network and putting it on blu, they'd also earn money through digital sales of individual episodes, as well as offering many episodes for free through ad-supported websites (like TOS is). This conglomeration of media revenue would ensure they'd easily make up the costs of the restoration. You're right it's not as simple as them waking up and deciding "let's do this", but it's not quite to your extreme either. As usual, the answer probably sits somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 342
Default

I don't think I'd buy complete seasons, but I would buy those "collections" like the one of Q, or The Borg...those were cool.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 66
Default

Voyager and Deep Space Nine on blu ray would be purchases for me.

Is there any news on the other Trek series beyond TOS coming to blu ray?

I hope so. I know there is a lot of challenges with the episodes being on video rather than film.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

It would be really nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Basically I'm hoping that the star trek original series will sell very well, if it does paramount might well take a chance on remastering TNG.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Motorheadache's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,506
Default

Well, the problem is they don't just have to redo the special effects. Unlike the original Star Trek series which was mastered on film, they would have to gather all of the original film elements and and recut the episodes from scratch, since the show was only mastered on 480i video. The same problem is with X-Files.

It's not impossible (unless they can't recover all of the raw film footage) but I'd be surprised if they did. Maybe they will do it for the best episodes and release some kind of "Essential Star Trek: The Next Generation" set or something.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
First of all, I am a huge Star Trek: Next Gen fan. I have the DVD set of the series, but I would like to see it in blu-ray. I have heard that it can be remastered in blu-ray, except the special effect scenes, which would need to be reshot (as they have been transfered to DVD?).

My question is, do you think Paramount will go through the trouble and money to turn this show into blu-ray? And I mean 'true' blu-ray, including redoing the shots if that is what is necessary.

I would love to see it in blu-ray, but I would only buy it if they did a true remastering. I would be willing to spend good money on each season, even the high price of the first season of TOS on HD-DVD.
Geez, let's not give Paramount any more ideas on how to milk Star Trek.I noticed that they now are releasing episodes a fourth and possible fifth time with these "Best of" collections. How many more times can you release "City on the Edge of Forever" or "Best of Both Worlds?"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does it bother you that people call blu-ray discs "Blu-ray DVD's" vahdyx High Definition Smackdown 38 02-21-2008 02:05 PM
Why even BOTHER petitioning? hankmallon High Definition Smackdown 18 01-13-2008 06:25 PM
Should I even bother to update my Transformers for the Add on? Riddick HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 5 10-22-2007 08:39 PM
The State Of HD, Why Bother Hating? nramsay High Definition Smackdown 20 09-02-2007 01:20 PM
Question on VGA to DVI - should I bother? txfeinbergs HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 5 01-02-2007 01:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off