'The Wrestler' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Default 'The Wrestler' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has jumped into the ring with 'The Wrestler.' He says this is an excellent film. This Blu-ray has solid video and audio and some meaty extras. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2181/wrestler.html
Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Great movie. I'm not hugely into wrestling or any of that, but i really enjoyed it, Mickey Rourke did a fine job in this film. Blu looks great too!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Agreed. This was one of the best films of 2008, and Rourke's performance was even more remarkable than Penn's, even if Penn's was more politically relevant and also worthy of an Oscar. It was great how Penn almost said as much when he talked about Rourke's performance in his acceptance speech. That's saying a lot. How many actors win best actor and then don't take the cheesy way out and say "All the nominees were great" but single out the one performance that could have easily won.

Let's not forget Aronofsky who hit a little rough patch there for a while both with the pre-production and actual result of The Fountain. That wasn't a horrid film. But it's not the brilliant portrait (even if the plot is formulaic) that The Wrestler is.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 PM

I cant not recommend this movie enough, all the performances were so solid and Rourke was perfect in this role.
I cant wait to see it again on
Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Thumbs up Love it!

Wow! All I can say is that I agree 100% with David Krauss's review of The Wrestler.

Mickey Rourke indeed "Rocks" in this film.

I love the camera work, which put the viewer close to the emotional impact of the character from the actors.

All in all, two big thumbs up from me. A must viewing (Blu-Ray).

LOTR
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM

To the reviewer: hate to say it (because the Academy really messed up IMO) but you have the Springsteen video "The Wrestler" mentioned as an Oscar-nominated song. The Academy did not nominate it much to the surprise of many. The Academy nominated only three songs -- two from "Slumdog" and one from "Wall-E". It did, however, win the Golden Globe award for Best Original Song.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 AM

I loved this movie. It was easily the best movie of 08. Mickey rourke's performance was perfect. Like David says it's randy/mickey in the movie. Get this on blu.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Definitely high up on the list of favorite movies of '08, but I think I'm gonna pass on the BD.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
To the reviewer: hate to say it (because the Academy really messed up IMO) but you have the Springsteen video "The Wrestler" mentioned as an Oscar-nominated song. The Academy did not nominate it much to the surprise of many. The Academy nominated only three songs -- two from "Slumdog" and one from "Wall-E". It did, however, win the Golden Globe award for Best Original Song.
Thanks for pointing that out, dmarvin. You are, of course, correct, and I will make the correction in the review. I obviously confused it with the Globes. (What's funny is that I couldn't remember which song won the Oscar, so I checked the Oscar website, and saw that the 'Slumdog' song won. But I was so sure 'The Wrestler' was at least nominated that I didn't double-check the nominees! Man, you can't even take Springsteen for granted these days! What's the world coming to??? )
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
Wow! All I can say is that I agree 100% with David Krauss's review of The Wrestler.

Mickey Rourke indeed "Rocks" in this film.

I love the camera work, which put the viewer close to the emotional impact of the character from the actors.

All in all, two big thumbs up from me. A must viewing (Blu-Ray).

LOTR
I agree about the camerawork. It was like being a fly on the wall.