Is PCM audio dead? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Is PCM audio dead?

I prefer PCM audio to codecs such as TruHD or DTS-MA. I've noticed that PCM audio isn't offered on new blu-ray discs (at least the ones I have been interested in buying). I understand that PCM takes up a lot of space, but the trend is to have two or three discs for special features for blu ray discs now also; so why not still use uncompressed audio? Is PCM dead?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Pretty much.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM

You do realize that dtsma and truhd decode to be pcm?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM

good riddance!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM

PCM is cool but the best lossless I've heard so far belongs to the Japanese TrueHD track on Akira.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM

PCM is gone. It was HDMI v1.2 stopgap. Now that HDMI V1.3 is everywhere and TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoders are showing up in $299 receivers, PCM is gone for good.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM

I know they still release them with PCM on some Imports but that's about it I think. It's too space-hungry.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Some of Disney's back catalog will show up with PCM, I'm sure. For instance, Lost Seasons 1 & 2 are supposed to have 5.1 PCM and they aren't out for another month.

But, yeah, eventually, except in special cases, I think PCM is done with the major distributors anyway.

Criterion does seem to be pushing Mono and Stereo PCM on a lot of titles.... and that's cool. But, like I said seems to be dead with the majors (Criterion not being one of them).

And to echo what others have said, with TrueHD and Master Audio decoding showing up in lower-level (cheaper) equipment, PCM is largely becoming irrelevant. It's inefficient anyway so I say good riddance.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg View Post
You do realize that dtsma and truhd decode to be pcm?
We are talking apples to oranges here. I'm speaking of an uncompressed audio versus a compressed audio code and not the manner the information is trasmitted once read (and/or decoded). When the codes are decoded by the player (such as the PS3) it is then sent to the receiver via PCM but the compression and decoding is where there can be some issue. A PCM track is not compressed at all, so there is no decoding issues.

Many say it may not make a difference (and it might not) but to my lay-person ear, I prefer an uncompressed linear PCM track to a code. See the first 300 disc (both truHD and a PCM 5.1 track) also compare the reviews between No country for Old Men http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1296...foroldmen.html and its re-issue http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2087...oldmen_ce.html The original was PCM the reissue was a DTS-MA and that made a slight difference in the review.

Quote: "Disney has dropped the PCM track found on the previous Blu-ray of 'No Country for Old Men,' instead offering up a DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround option (both 48kHz/24-bit). This is likely to give over disc space previously eaten up by the PCM track to the new extras found on this 'Collector's Edition.' Comparison is close, with the PCM slightly out-performing the DTS-MA, though differences are small enough that it is likely only the most discerning ears will notice."
Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge View Post
I know they still release them with PCM on some Imports but that's about it I think. It's too space-hungry.
I know it takes up a lot of space, but it worked for earlier discs and even with the codes, they are releasing "two-disc" sets with information that could fit on a single disc (probably even with the PCM track). Eh, I'm just venting I guess....