24 Season 7.. NASTY VIDEO TRANSFER!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM

Default 24 Season 7.. NASTY VIDEO TRANSFER!!

I am very dissapointed with the transfer of 24. The video quality seems very poor. In some parts, it looks amazing, but then others (dark scenes) it looks beyond GRAINY. Sometimes worst than DVD due to the clarity of the Blu Ray disc. Has anyone also noticed this?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM

This is from the review over at Blu-ray.com where they gave the video 4 stars.

Bristling with rough-hewn grain, abundant and aggressive source noise, and overblown contrast, 24: Season Seven's 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer may strike some newcomers as an unattractive, uncomfortable assault on the eyes. However, fans will rightfully identify the presentation as an at-times stunning, technically sound representation of the series creators' intentions and shaky, unpredictable visuals. Watching Bauer disappear into the shadows, emerge moments later in the stark light of an overcast afternoon, then chase a suspect into a dismal underground tunnel may be a jarring (and frequent) experience, but the transfer's blacks are deep and well-resolved, its skintones are consistently accurate and effortlessly handle each episode's lighting changes, and its delineation is surprisingly natural and revealing. Likewise, the camera flicks from character to character with sudden zooms and rapid turns, but motion blur isn't a significant issue, texture clarity is crisp and reliable, and crush and ringing are kept to a minimum. In fact, compared to the show's HD broadcast, the Blu-ray transfer is a godsend; a substantial improvement upon what was already a solid television presentation. Depth and dimensionality is more convincing, detail is more refined, and the image is much cleaner. And how, you ask, does the standard DVD edition stack up? Honestly, I took one look at its murky, blocky picture and laughed myself all the way to the eject button.

Still, 24: Season Seven isn't flawless by any means. Noticeable bursts of compression artifacts still disrupt drab backgrounds and bright skies several times per episode, detracting from the integrity of the image, drawing attention away from the positive aspects of the transfer, and distracting the viewer from the story at hand. It doesn't help that minor banding and aliasing occasionally show up and spoil the fun as well. Ultimately, longtime fans will be swept away by the technical quality of the presentation, but more stringent videophiles may wish Fox had added two more discs to the set and given all twenty-four episodes more room to breathe. Regardless, I'm a happy boy.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Its sad when some folks expect everything to be clean as a whistle when the intended look of something is supposed to be gritty. In this case "24" is supposed to look gritty especially during darker scenes.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM

I haven't seen the set yet, but 24 has always been very rough, not due to transfer or encoding issues, but because it's shot that way. Personally I find these types of discs more impressive than ones with crisp and clear source material because they handle all the raw and gritty details much much better than DVD. Rescue Me is a good example of this. Not what anyone on here would consider "eye candy" by any means, but I love the fact that even through all the smoke and the grain I can see every detail that was put on the film. I think some people expect Blu-ray to somehow magically change the way the content was lit and shot... maybe it should turn all handheld footage into steadycam shots as well?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Can't wait to see what happens when BSG hits Blu-Ray.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM

^It'll be pretty explosive.