'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Default 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off.' He says this is a no-brainer for fans. This Blu-ray sports improved video, greatly improved sound, and some interesting extras. Based on the strength of the film, along with some subtle upgrades, this one is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2125...ersdayoff.html
Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 PM

So worth the purchase!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM

I'm tempted. I actually have the DVD two versions back that has the Hughes commentary. Interesting stuff.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

This might be my favorite Hughes movie so this was a no-brainer for me. The Blu-ray looks great as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm about to blow your minds... 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off = Fight Club' and vice-a-verse.

Oh yes, you know it's true. Cameron = Narrator/Cornelius

Anyone heard that theory?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 PM

I know I'm in the minority but I've always thought that this was the most overrated of the John Hughes films.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
I know I'm in the minority but I've always thought that this was the most overrated of the John Hughes films.
I've always thought that about WEIRD SCIENCE, and I get the same funny looks you probably get. That being said, you're out of your gourd!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM

I wish there was some other way of reviewing PQ on HD disks as it's getting confusing.

"I'm not going to sugarcoat this - this is by no means a great looking transfer, but the film itself is able to overcome this."

"There's a fair amount of grain and detail is often forgone in favor of a flatter, more washed-out look."

"While this isn't a noteworthy presentation, by any stretch of the imagination, it still works within the film, and is leaps and bounds beyond previous home video incarnations."

It's getting hard to know what the reviewer is criticising these days...is it the transfer or the original look of the cinematography? Is it film grain or compression? I'm only interested in knowing about how good it transferred, not if the reviewer liked the way the movie was shot, or if it looks as good as Transformers or whatever.

Case in point: I held off buying the Die Hard movies because of the criticisms of the first two. But I got them yesterday and was more than impressed with the upgrade. I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel I may be missing out on great movies due to poor PQ reviews when I would be perfectly happy with them.

Ferris is on its way. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Alan
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM

I love this movie and have seen it dozens of times but only ever on TV, I am pretty sure this is going to be a big upgrade for me
Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM

I'll have to add this to my collection