No Blu-ray release of Fanboys?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM

Default No Blu-ray release of Fanboys??

Wasn't this a film that was tailor-made for much of the BD buying market? What a load of BS. Weinstein/Genius products finally gave up on this movie it appears. By the time the final cut was in the can, it got a very limited theater release (came nowhere near me) and now they're shoving it onto DVD (out today) and neglecting the BD release.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Would you release something that won't sell that well on a format that isn't exactly cheap to release on, when your studio isn't doing so hot?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM

Because of the relative numbers of releases that come out on BD each week vs the sheer number of titles released on DVD, I sure as hell would. Especially with the perceived PS3 demographic sure to eat this up. It has Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Kristen Bell, Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes in it to name a few. There are some pretty popular peeps in that bunch.

And hell, they've released movies like Hell Ride and Eden Lake. If a smaller studio like Lionsgate can see money in their future by releasing Cutthroat Island, I see no reason why Weinstein couldn't make a few bucks off a new release that caters to Star Wars fans and part of the Apatow demographic at the same time.

But hell, I'm no marketing major.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Hell Ride came to Blu-ray, but not Eden Lake. Lionsgate is doing great compared to the Weinstein Co. Lionsgate has had some fairly big hits this past year.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Go buy the Canadian import.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
Hell Ride came to Blu-ray, but not Eden Lake. Lionsgate is doing great compared to the Weinstein Co. Lionsgate has had some fairly big hits this past year.
i think the comparison between lionsgate and weinstein to be way off. lionsgate has the artisan library. weinstein, no such luck. lionsgate boasts the most aggressive pricing (ie quickest drops in msrp), the most consistent use of 7.1, and puts out many more "big" films.

weinstein has put out some GREAT films, in my opinion, they have a neat catalog, but when times are tough, they're tough. the canadian import isn't priced out of range, so it's just one of those "you gotta do what you gotta do" things, either get it now, or wait and see.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM

Inet video have a listing up for it, but it's by that Alliance group, and i've heard not so good things about them.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM

Alliance usually doesn't get rights to special features, correct? I'll just watch the DVD (in my netflix queue now) and wait for a BD someday.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
Alliance usually doesn't get rights to special features, correct? I'll just watch the DVD (in my netflix queue now) and wait for a BD someday.
Yes they do...it just depends on the title. It seems like their catalog titles are feature-less. No one knows what's happening with this title as of yet.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

When Weinstein was still HD DVD exclusive there was a number of titles they would release on blu-ray months after the DVD release. So, there's still a chance.