Blockbuster.com downsizing Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Blockbuster.com downsizing Blu-ray?

Feel free to move the thread to a more appropriate place, wasn't sure where to post...

Lately, blockbuster.com is getting more "unavailable" on blu-rays that in the past they would have always had on hand. Examples include What Doesn't Kill You, Saturday Night Fever, and Enemy at the Gates.

Is there any word on this?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM

They're a company in trouble, so there could be a variety of reasons for this.

There's always the chance demand has spiked.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Um, they aren't doing so great, but those are older titles. If they don't get the newest big release of recent movie it might be more disconcerting.

I love Enemy at the Gates but it never was a hit and I doubt the DVD is in demand much. I can see why that might get put it off in favor of buying newer movies. Maybe in week or two they'll catch up, but their isn't a law that requires them to buy every blu release, although common sense would compel them to just to keep up with netflix

Since they are selling off some of their older blu as used it would seem they have found balance for rental demand vs number needed on hand for new releases. Or it could be they just need the cash.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-monkey View Post
They're a company in trouble, so there could be a variety of reasons for this.

There's always the chance demand has spiked.
I think you're confusing "unavailable" with "very long wait". Unavailable means they don't have any copies to put into inventory for renting. Perhaps they're leaving it open to getting some copies in the future by listing the blu-ray as unavailable, otherwise you would think they wouldn't even show the blu-ray version of a title.

And yeah, I've been noticing this as well. Blockbuster used to be great for renting new Criterion blu-rays, but since The 400 Blows they've been showing up as unavailable, except for Benjamin Button, which they sent me last week. And they had all of the Star Trek movies listed for blu-ray, but after release day they changed to unavailable. I guess with the economy and Blockbuster not doing well financially they are limiting acquisitions, but I wouldn't say it's "downsizing" blu-ray - I notice several indie/art house DVDs in my Q are also stuck in "very long wait" for quite awhile, But as someone who was with Netflix for several years, I still prefer Blockbuster for service and cost.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

The financial issues are well known.

But to not get What Doesn't Kill You (which is a new release) and catalogue blu's that they always got in the past makes zero sense (while still shipping a DTV Seagal movie in blu today)...I hope they get it squared away or I might have to make the Netflix switch. I have to have catalogue blu access.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM

My local Blockbuster actually increased the amount of Blus that they had from one row and a center section to two rows and a center section.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-monkey View Post
They're a company in trouble..
That's putting it mildly. BB.com has been in trouble for quite awhile. I quit using them for rentals when they were charging my c/c for discs they said were shipped out but never got here. Be careful should this happen to you, because if you read the contract you agreed to, it states that BB.com will charge you for any titles that you rent whether or not you receive them. I never read the "contract" until after the fact.

Better to know now and not take any chances than to learn later.

Any company that operates like this will not stay in business much longer.