'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Default 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' has been posted. This movie grossed $150 million, which we'll chalk up as a mystery. This Blu-ray has ok video, audio, and extras, but nothing really stands out. A rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2215...rtmallcop.html
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Wow $150 million, that is surprising. I like James but I think I'm still gonna pass on this one.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman208 View Post
Wow $150 million, that is surprising. I like James but I think I'm still gonna pass on this one.
exactly my thoughts.
I had no desire to see this in the theater or own it but I do have this in my rental queue.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM

"'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' is a movie whose success I just don't understand. It's a banal, non-descript comedy that still somehow managed to gross over $150 million at the box office."

Yep.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM

I enjoyed it. It was a pretty mindless comedy, which is fine with me. No way I'm going to shell out nearly $30 though.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 AM

I just watched a rented copy of this movie, and I'd say "Give it a rent" is the proper overall comment for it, but I'd give it 3 out of 5. It does follow the underdog formula to a tee, though what I think impressed me and many that liked it is that it remained very clean. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of South Park, Family Guy, and Troma movies. However, it takes a certain skill to be as funny as comedy that can rely more on shock but remain suitable for basically all audiences. Had this been a PG-13 or R rated comedy, I'd totally agree with the two stars, but being just as funny without needing adult comedy earns some kudos to me. It reminds me of the era of film making when they had no choice but to be clever because shock and gross out jokes just weren't an option. Some can combine both well, but if you want a funny, albeit standard, underdog story that isn't likely to offend anyone in the house, it succeeds. The worst I heard in it was "badass", and don't remember anything else that might be considered cursing, though I may have missed something. I'm by no means a martyr for keeping cinema clean, my favorites including films of Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino, but it is nice to see that a solid movie can be made without the adult content. Sure the kids will probably like it a little more than the adults, because they don't realize how many movies like this have already been made, and even many jokes are versions of ones we've seen before, but my inner child enjoyed it quite a bit. Expect plenty of "Why doesn't he just.... blah blah blah" moments, but I expect that out of the genre because the movie wouldn't have anywhere to go if it always followed logic, just like a horror movie where people run upstairs from a killer. Not a dealbreaker. Still don't plan on buying it, but it was worth the rent. Deleted scenes are hit and miss but worth watching for the hits, that is, if you liked the character to begin with.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 AM

I'll never see this.

I think Kevin James is one of the unfunniest guys on earth.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 AM

Swear to god, this movie was somehow still at the theater in my mall a few weeks ago when I went to see "Monsters Vs. Aliens" on opening night...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Watched this on blu last night with the wife. The transfer is sharp but rather flat in terms of color - kind of like Talladegga Nights: Ricky Bobby. Definitely not demo material.

As a movie itself, it is clearly inferior to most of the "good" comedies people have been buying on blu (i.e. Anchorman, Virgin, Walk Hard, etc).

My wife and I were laughing out loud several times at the start of the movie, but it does run completely out of steam/humor pretty quickly following a karaoke bar scene. The rest of the movie is just very poorly scripted/conceived. Leaves whatever potential it had so far behind its not even funny.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' is a movie whose success I just don't understand. It's a banal, non-descript comedy that still somehow managed to gross over $150 million at the box office."

Yep.
Hence, the movie-going population has a collective IQ with a decimal in front of the number.

This is why they keep making useless films like this and those even more useless romantic comedies that always seem to star Owen Wilson and some retread from the TV show Friends.