'Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy: Uncensored!' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Default 'Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy: Uncensored!' - High-Def Digest Review

Still reeling from his last assignment, Nate Boss has turned a wary eye to 'Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy: Uncensored!' Let's just say fans will enjoy it, but Nate is not a fan. This Blu-ray sounds pretty terrible, with poor video, weak audio, and a flimsy supplement package. Skip this, unless you're a fan.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2120...cavalcade.html
Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Good review, and I totally agree that Seth is better with censorship. Family Guy jumped the shark shortly after coming back on the air and the rest... well his work stinks and unfunny as far as I'm concerned. But hey, he's making Fox money... which also explains why the Simpsons remained on the air from 1999 and on.

Just to add, I loved the first 8 years of The Simpsons and 9 was passable. As far as prime time animation goes, South Park is the only series that hasn't lost its touch as it evolved appropriately while keeping what made the show a success from day one. Can't say the same about The Simpsons... sadly
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Dayum, that is one harsh review. So what do you think of "Family Guy," ha ha.

I have to admit this wasn't exactly at the top of my list; I can't imagine there's a throwaway gag about anything that they couldn't figure out some way to fit on "Family Guy," so if it's cobbled together in a collection instead of put in the show, that's not a sign that it's A+ material. Sorry to hear that it's so underwhelming on the technical front, as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 PM

well to be fair, these were released online through some burger king promotion. so they were never really meant to be put all together as one "feature".

i'm a fan of family guy and american dad but i dont see the point in getting this. i'm sure i'd love it more than others but once you've seen these gags, not sure if there'd be any rewatchability.

but i'm sure it'll eventually air on Teletoon or something here in Canada so til then....i'll wait.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Some of the shorts are hilarious while others fall flat. That's McFarlane for you. I'm just glad I can Netflix this so I don't pay any more.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

I think this will be a rental for me, and perhaps on standard DVD, as it doesn't seem to need BD at all. I do find it odd that people complain about Family Guy's cutaway jokes, but no one complains about Robot Chicken, which doesn't even try to tell a story between the short jokes. Don't get me wrong, they are both my favorite shows. I just feel like if Family Guy left the story out altogether, no one would complain. I'm glad it doesn't, it has created some of my favorite characters, and many of the good jokes need you to know the characters better than a cutaway alone could explain. I just take it, sort of, as two things, a story, and random jokes, that it switches between rather than creating two 11 minute shows that are TOTALLY unrelated. I'd like to check this out though, it may or may not be for me. I wish they'd do season sets of Johnny Bravo, which Seth wrote for and has said he'd love to do commentary for.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor View Post
I think this will be a rental for me, and perhaps on standard DVD, as it doesn't seem to need BD at all. I do find it odd that people complain about Family Guy's cutaway jokes, but no one complains about Robot Chicken, which doesn't even try to tell a story between the short jokes. Don't get me wrong, they are both my favorite shows. I just feel like if Family Guy left the story out altogether, no one would complain. I'm glad it doesn't, it has created some of my favorite characters, and many of the good jokes need you to know the characters better than a cutaway alone could explain. I just take it, sort of, as two things, a story, and random jokes, that it switches between rather than creating two 11 minute shows that are TOTALLY unrelated. I'd like to check this out though, it may or may not be for me. I wish they'd do season sets of Johnny Bravo, which Seth wrote for and has said he'd love to do commentary for.
The humor is in the same vein as Family Guy, just perhaps a little more shocking. I love Family Guy as well, but some jokes require a little more effort to get a laugh out of me than others.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 AM

Lets hope that someday in the near future Warner Bros. blesses us with some classic Looney Tunes collections on blu-ray. What puzzles me is why would they put this out for sale when you can watch the episodes on youtube for free (as another poster mentioned). Besides, you must have a Beavis & Butthead mentality to even want to watch these. Frightening!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah Looney Tunes would be super nice. Xbox Live offers a large selection of Looney Tunes, many in 720p, for individual download. I haven't gotten any of these as I'm waiting for some 1080p ones (and on a disc that is more portable). However, they made "What's Opera, Doc?" a free download (not sure if it still is). It is enough to make it apparent that HD serves Looney Tunes well. Having the later ones in widescreen would be nice too, same goes for Tom and Jerry and other MGM toons made during the widescreen era. There was a laserdisc set of every MGM cartoon that Tex Avery made, that would be awesome to see on BD. He started off at WB but I believe those would be included in a Looney Tunes collection.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM

I like it except for that crap with the guy wearing the kilt. Just what was that shit?

Got it for $17.99 at FYE. That was an OK deal for the 54 minutes.