'Bride Wars' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Default 'Bride Wars' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has taken a high-def bullet for all of us by reviewing 'Bride Wars.' This one sounds horrrrrrrrendous. The Blu-ray is solid, with good video and audio and a wealth of squeal-inducing extras that will make you throw up your arms and scream your bridal war cry, if you go in for that kind of thing. If, however, you are sane, then please, please, this is one to avoid.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2182/bridewars.html
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 PM

I really have to point out that giving Bride Wars the same movie score as King Kong is ridiculous.

HDD: King Kong is as bad as Bride Wars.

You guys should stop reviewing the movie itself, and just review the technical aspects.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 AM

Man you are totally missing the point!!!

I too dont agree with 1.5 stars for King Kong I would give at least 3, however, you cant measure Bride Wars and King Kong by the same standards.

I Woulg give 5 Stars to The Godfather but I also would give 5 star to say Superbad, does that mean they are equally good? NO WAY IN HELL.

Superbad is an awesome comedy and the Godfather is an awesome piece of film history, a 5 Stars in Superbad just means is a great comedy and must be compare to comedies, because the ways to evaluate both movies are completely different.

You can compare with the star system benjamin buttons and forrest gump, or Indiana Jones with the Mummy movies, or Ratatouille against Kung fu Panda.

But you cant compare American Pie against Gandhi, I would give gandhi 4.5 Stars and American pie 4, so is American Pie almost as as gandhi?

Of course you may like comedies movies more than drama movies, so you will probably enjoy American Pie more than Gandhi, but even then the score represents ONLY movies of the same kind.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 AM

My stupid ex girlfriend always made me watch Bridezillas, which I always f'n hated. So I have zero desire to see anything that resembles that.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 AM

Okay, you're right, but the point remains:

HDD says Bride Wars does what it sets out to do just as well as King Kong does. That's an apt description, right? Meaning, judging the film by its intentions and genre, here's how it succeeds/fails, etc.

But that is just patently false. King Kong does what it sets out to do much, MUCH better than Bride Wars does what IT sets out to do.

The real solution is to just fire Peter as a reviewer. He's awful (I know he didn't review this one, of course, just Kong).
Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 AM

Hahahaha, this review was a joy to read. Makes Sex and the City look like a bro-mance?

That's a winner quote right there.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 AM

Hathaway and Hudson are nice eye candy and thats all this movie has going for it,imho. PASSSSSSSS!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-monkey View Post
But that is just patently false. King Kong does what it sets out to do much, MUCH better than Bride Wars does what IT sets out to do.
In your opinion, perhaps. You make it sound as if there's some objective standard by which it can be proven that King Kong does what it sets out to do better than this movie. I know many, many, many people who would argue that King Kong is a much bigger failure than Bride Wars.

Bride Wars never set any expectation of being a good movie. It has no such ambitions. The producers set out to make a crappy romantic comedy, and did just that.

King Kong has much greater ambition. It wants to be a good movie. And it utterly fails in that respect.

In the end, both movies suck. Quibbling over their respective star ratings is like arguing whether it's better to be punched in the face or kicked in the gut. Both options are equally unpleasant.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM

King Kong fails at nothing.

84% Fresh rating at rottentomatoes.com
81% average at Metacritic

Seriously... King Kong was a very good movie.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
King Kong fails at nothing.

84% Fresh rating at rottentomatoes.com
81% average at Metacritic

Seriously... King Kong was a very good movie.

I concur, sir.