'Taken' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Default 'Taken' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Taken' has been posted. This is a taut thriller. The Blu-ray features fine video, excellent audio, and some standard supplements. Give it a rent, fans can pick this one up safely.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2256/taken.html

Last edited by eNoize; 05-13-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 AM

I watched this last night and I was very entertained. Not a perfect flick and I personally prefered Man on Fire, but watching Liam kicking ass was a hell of a thrill ride.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM

I liked it enough to pick it up. Not the best review in terms of A/V, but still would like it in my small BD collection.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM

I have to laugh at Peter's review on the film though...

Quote:
Are we, as a culture, still so afraid that we need this kind of knee-jerk reactionism to quench our appetite for justice?
Maybe we just want to watch an action flick? I think you are trying to look into this too deeply.

Quote:
Was I offended by 'Taken?' A little bit. The film, as presented here in a two-minute longer, unrated cut, is pretty mean-spirited in its violence. The theatrical version already skirted the boundaries of its PG-13 rating, and the film seems to revel at times in depicting the punishments that Bryan inflicts on his victims. Yeah, they're scum, but the movie so almost falls into the abyss of sadistic exploitation that one questions how it can condemn the actions of its villains when it seems to be pandering to the same basic instincts. Troubling? Possibly. Purely as a taut thriller, 'Taken' works. Just don't look under the hood.
LOL... I won't say anything... just that this is absurd.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM

I have my copy sitting on the coffee table waiting for me after I drop my wife off at the airport tonight. Looking forward to a little mayhem.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Spoiler
My personal opinion is this movie insults my intelligence. Given it is sold out to playing on our emotions, especially if you are a dad as I am, at least show me some sort of respect and don't treat me like I've had a lobotomy.

So a lone American can fly into Paris, turn Paris upside down, totally destroy a freeway, back up cars for miles, blow up a construction site and the ONLY law enforcement that gets involved is a corrupt French administrator? Really? This is even close to reality?

I guess as a former CIA or black ops member Liam's character stashed IV fluids and Narcan vials in his safe house in Paris for that day he needs to rescue a drugged out young girl. Oh really?

Or now that he has rescued his dtr, maybe one other girl, we all fly home and the dtr who was kidnapped, drugged, maybe sexually assaulted but probably kept her virginal status for the sheik, lost her best friend to a drug over dose who as far as we know is still lying dead on the bed in the Albanian kidnappers house, that girl miraculously recovers her emotional state on the 10 hour flight home from Paris and is back to being a normal 17 year old who just needs to give her mom a hug?

Oh really?

How come all the other girl's dads didn't show up at the airport and kick Liam's behind for not rescuing other dad's daughters?

This movie is a huge insult to my intelligence and the attempt to play on emotions despite insulting my intelligence placed this movie on my worse movie list with Glen Gary Glen Ross, Cat Woman, Battle Field Earth and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

How sad for Liam that the movie he gets to watch that is the last movie he worked on while his wonderful wife and mother to his children was alive is this stinker. I'd demand a re-make only to honor her life.

This is truly a lousy movie that disrespects its intended audience big time.

Last edited by eNoize; 05-13-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM

I believe more people will find this to be worth a purchase more than just a rental. But then again, I guess there could be a number of people that are offended by a pure action movie....I, for one, am not.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM

"people that are offended by a pure action movie."

By the way, I am not offended by a pure action movie. I actually enjoy them immensely.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM

"totally destroy a freeway, back up cars for miles, blow up a construction site"

This sounds like Live Free or Die Hard. Either way, sign me up!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Annnnnd now Peter, not satisfied with reviewing movies, has taken to analyzing the American psyche...

I loved this flick for the same reason I loved Man on Fire--it's about a man who becomes an unstoppable force. I like characters with that kind of drive, that force of will. I like characters who don't equivocate, don't sit around and wait for things to happen, characters who say things like:
"...I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
...and...
"I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

And, judging by the box office, I'm not alone. Besides, we need SOMETHING to tide us over until Hollywood can finally make a *good* Punisher movie.

Also, it was nice to see dad played sympathetically especially given the state of fatherhood in movies. (See "The Deep End of the Ocean" for a perfect example).

This movie was non-stop, balls-to-the-wall action and I loved it!

Last edited by Kiamat; 05-13-2009 at 12:28 PM.