Terminator 2 Blu-ray PQ will never look good with a 4K restoration - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Terminator 2 Blu-ray PQ will never look good with a 4K restoration

According to DVDfile:
Cameron's choice to use Super35 restricts the sharpness and clarity by virtue of the film elements themselves, so T2 will never look razor-sharp or crystal-clear even on the best 4K studio master.

http://www.dvdfile.com/views/article...-edition-74336

So I guess its safe to get the Skynet Edition for now.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 PM

Or stick with your German HD DVD steelbook.

I just canceled my preorder for the skunet edition, because there is no difference.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Did you not post the same thing a month ago?

The answer is still the same.... sure, T2 will never be Ratatouille sharp (or even as good looking as I'm sure Salvation will turn out). But, to say that because Cameron chose to shoot in Super35, that the new release is the best T2 will ever look is absurd and false.

The current master is filtered, scrubbed and just plain old (not to mention intended for downscaling to DVD). A 4K remaster and restoration will improve clarity and sharpness. Maybe not astronomically. Maybe only marginally really, but the film will and can look better. Once we get a BD that is sourced from a master that isn't infected with DNR, lets see what it looks like. I'm sure it will be better than what we have now.

And here's one more thing that bugs me..... if S35 is really the only reason why T2 looks soft and lacks clarity, shouldn't that be because of the intense grain that is inherent to the Super35 process.... what's that? The new release (and old one for that matter) is decidedly grain free.... well, that just doesn't make sense.

Buy the new disc if you want too (and I would recommend it on the 6.1 track and extras alone) but if you think this is the best the film can (and does currently) look, I'm sorry.... but that just isn't true.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM

I agree with Super here, the current releases have obviously been DNRed, so the pretense that a high res (4K) restoration to clean up the print without applying a ton of noise reduction couldnn't yield better results and higher detail levels seems to me to be a false one. I would really like to see this movie get the treatment it deserves in the form of a new clean restoration based on work rather than the lazy application of filters and DNR and calling it a day.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

I'll be sticking to my british HD DVD of this flick.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Good thing I'm not a huge fan.

Great story, TERRIBLE dialogue. Typical Cameron (save Aliens and True Lies).
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM

Who cares? It is just a transfer of a movie. I know that is what this board is about but jesus, who cares? T2 looks great to me. I bluy blu's to enjoy the film, not spend time criticizing every aspect of the transfer.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Then feel free to go find a thread addressing that and please stop pooping in this one.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM

for those of you who have seen the Skynet edition. How does it compare to the Uk/France HD DVD in PQ?? that's what I have right now and if it compares to that I wouldn't mind replacing my HD DVD for the special features but ONLY if the PQ was on par with that.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Worm, I'm sorry I can't give better info, as I haven't seen the version you have, but looking at this transfer I can't imagine there being more than a marginal improvement at best, if any.

I can tell you, having seen the skynet now, I would not have bought if I had another HD version already (I did not).