'Falling Down' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM

Default 'Falling Down' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Falling Down.' He still finds this film underrated (it's good!). This Blu-ray has strong video and audio (though not superb) and some worthwhile extras. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2029/fallingdown.html
Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 PM

i always thought this movie was awesome
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM

DolbyTrueHD 2.0? Are you freakin' kidding me? This is 2009, right?

I was so looking forward to this release, despite being a Warners catalog title (and thus, average picture quality), as it is one of my all time favourites. But to not even give a basic Dolby Digital 5.1 option is just laughable, and another embarrassment for Warners.

I have been a big fan of the digibook releases thus far, and hoped to continue my collection, especially for a film I love as much as this... but in light of the audio specs, I think I'll wait until the cheap Aussie amaray case version is on sale on a B2G1F.

Shame, Warners, shame!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
DolbyTrueHD 2.0? Are you freakin' kidding me? This is 2009, right?
I know right!? I mean, yeah, this is 2009! Who cares that this film was released in 1993 (when 5.1 surround sound was not the standard)!

Excuse my sarcasm.... but seriously, come on now, Falling Down was released to theaters in Dolby SR.

2.0 is the films original mix. And thankfully we get that mix in lossless form.

Quote:
I was so looking forward to this release, despite being a Warners catalog title (and thus, average picture quality), as it is one of my all time favourites. But to not even give a basic Dolby Digital 5.1 option is just laughable, and another embarrassment for Warners.
You would sacrifice lossless for a few extra (measly) post-processed channels?

Just apply some pro-logic to the 2.0 TrueHD track and be done with it. It'd give you basically the same result as had they remixed Falling Down for 5.1.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
I know right!? I mean, yeah, this is 2009! Who cares that this film was released in 1993 (when 5.1 surround sound was not the standard)!

Excuse my sarcasm.... but seriously, come on now, Falling Down was released to theaters in Dolby SR.

So, by your rationale, are you suggesting that Poltergeist was made/released AFTER 1993? I seem to remember that title being theatrically released in 1982, quite some time prior to Falling Down, and yet it has both Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and regular Dolby 5.1 on the digibook release.

And yes... I would happily sacrifice an overrated 2.0 lossless audio codec for a remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 PM

I've already said my piece on the other Falling Down thread. No need to repeat myself here.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
So, by your rationale, are you suggesting that Poltergeist was made/released AFTER 1993?
No. Please point to where I stated that. In any form.

Quote:
I seem to remember that title being theatrically released in 1982, quite some time prior to Falling Down, and yet it has both Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and regular Dolby 5.1 on the digibook release.
Cool. It was remixed and remastered for 5.1 for the anniversary re-release. This happens to films all of the time. I've got Forbidden Planet from '56 on HD DVD with 5.1..... because it was remixed.

And, again, even with the remixing I'm not entirely sure that the results would be much different than applying pro-logic to the original, as even with the sound now in 5.1, both films are still largely front heavy.

And, even at that, Poltergeist was released to 70mm with 6-track in 1982. Falling Down was not. It was released in Dolby SR.

Quote:
And yes... I would happily sacrifice an overrated 2.0 lossless audio codec for a remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Uh, fine. Whatever. I'd rather have better dynamics, clearer dialog and all the other benefits of lossless audio.

Other than a few select scenes, Falling Down is a front heavy, dialog-based film that, even in 5.1, would remain front focused and anemic when it comes to rear surround activity.

It was released theatrically in 2.0... anything other than that would not be faithful to the original theatrical representation and, mostly, for this film, overkill. The Dolby Surround track is fine.

The "lalala, I'm not going to buy a film unless it has 5.1" mentality is absurd. If you like the film, buy it. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple. People get way too stuck up on specs and forget about what really matters the film!

And, just for reference, Falling Down has only ever been released in the theater, on LaserDisc, DVD and now BD in 2.0.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 PM

I was on the fence but I think I'm going to pass. Lame extras, lame soundtrack and a lame $5 extra price tag.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM

I dunno, Super VHS. I would wager that most of us with surround sound systems prefer listening to things in surround sound. It may sound crazy, but those extra inaudible sounds in a lossless 2.0 track just aren't the same thing as directionality and immersiveness.

You fault CriticalMass for pointing out the flaw in your logic (that apparently movies released prior to a certain time period don't need or benefit from surround sound mixes - that is what your original statement implies), but then you go on to presume that he will not buy the Blu-Ray because of its sound. He didn't say that; he just plans to wait because the upgrade from DVD isn't as impressive as we all know it could be.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 PM

I have never seen this but i heard it pretty good, Ill give it a try ..