'Kingdom of Heaven' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 AM
PeterB

Thumbs up 'Kingdom of Heaven' -- High-Def Digest review

Fox finally got around to sending out 'Kingdom of Heaven,' so I took a look:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kingdomofheavendc.html

No extras at all, but the transfer and soundtrack are quite terrific. As far as I'm concerned, the best looking and sounding Blu-ray release yet from Fox.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 AM

Kingdom of heaven uses a bitrate of 29.5mbps (Compared to DVD movies which use a bitrate of about 5mbps) and the total movie size is 42GB. Very high quality, it must look amazing. I guess those 50GB discs are going to be very useful.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:24 AM

Looking forward to seeing this version. No special extras to fill that 50GB of potential space?????? That's interesting.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 AM

very good review! Btw, it was 24mbps and that mpeg2-codec really does take up some space..!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM

I watched it a week ago and I was absolutely smitten. This is reference quality in video and audio!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Fox finally got around to sending out 'Kingdom of Heaven,' so I took a look:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kingdomofheavendc.html

No extras at all, but the transfer and soundtrack are quite terrific. As far as I'm concerned, the best looking and sounding Blu-ray release yet from Fox.
Has anyone got to hear the dtshd soundtrack if so how and on which player. I am thinking of buying a a blueray player as i want hddts right out of the box. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethebaker View Post
Has anyone got to hear the dtshd soundtrack if so how and on which player. I am thinking of buying a a blueray player as i want hddts right out of the box. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I watched the movie with the dts lossless master audio and it was an awe inspiring experience. It is superior to dts hd 98/24 and of course to "regular" dts. You can see the equipment I used in my signature. I bought the Samsung as I didn't want to wait. I will replace it by spring or middle of next year with either the Panasonic or the Pioneer Elite second generation players.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like this will be a must-have for me when I get a BD player. I have never seen the film at all so will probably go straight for the DC. Good to hear that the audio and visuals are top notch.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
I watched the movie with the dts lossless master audio and it was an awe inspiring experience. It is superior to dts hd 98/24 and of course to "regular" dts. You can see the equipment I used in my signature. I bought the Samsung as I didn't want to wait. I will replace it by spring or middle of next year with either the Panasonic or the Pioneer Elite second generation players.
Since you were using the Samsung, the best audio you can get out of the movie is "regular DTS" which is extracted from the DTS HD Ma track on the disc. That said, it packs a powerful punch.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post
Since you were using the Samsung, the best audio you can get out of the movie is "regular DTS" which is extracted from the DTS HD Ma track on the disc. That said, it packs a powerful punch.
I didn't know that, thank you for the info. The audio was still better then "regular" dts as I experienced it until now, including dts 96/24 from DVD. I guess even if converted to regular dts it still comes with a higher bitrate. Could my audio processor decode this kind of signal if the player was able to deliver it or would I have to use the analog 6 channel interface?