'Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Skynet Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Default 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Skynet Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has again reviewed 'T2.' He grows weary of the film's *many* re-releases, but admits this movie tapped into something big, which explains its enduring appeal. This Blu-ray set has very good video and sound, along with lots of extras and something that resembles a kitchen sink. Recommended, but it will probably be back again in another edition in the near future!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2152...r2_skynet.html
Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM

How does it compare versus the Kinowelt (German) HD DVD release?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
How does it compare versus the Kinowelt (German) HD DVD release?
Good question and one I would like to hear too.

It sounds like the new BD is an upgrade over the old one, but the question by how much, on picture and perhaps sound too.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM

That was an extremely generalized PQ review, which answers nobody's concerns about DNR, simply saying "it looks less grainy". This is, of course, in addition to yet another ABYSMAL film review.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

The film review I won't comment on, since it is opinion based anyways, but I am also more confused by the video review than helped here. First, there is mention not to expect anything new, then a comment about the superior VC-1 encode, not t mention the non-quantitative statement you quoted.

I know you don't normally post in your review threads, Peter, but could you please help us out here with a few more specifics?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Ok, I reread the video review, and have to ask, WTH Peter?:

"But don't expect anything new -- this 1080p/VC-1 encode (2.35:1) offers no truly appreciable upgrade over the previous Blu-ray (which I reviewed upon first release back in 2006)."

then:

"The disc's VC-1 encode is far better than the previous Blu-ray, however, with none of the motion artifacts, edginess or pixelization that so rankled last time."

Which is it?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
That was an extremely generalized PQ review, which answers nobody's concerns about DNR, simply saying "it looks less grainy". This is, of course, in addition to yet another ABYSMAL film review.
The mention of reduced grain without mention of EE's effects or the presence of halos etc. is pretty much useless.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I too found the review a little tough to figure, but I guess I'm just gonna accept the thing I read last, which was that it was "better". lol.

But hey, the real reason I posted was to ask, is anyone else just a little peeved that the box art says "T2: Judgment Day", and not "Terminator 2: Judgment Day"? I mean, yeah, a LOT of people, including myself, refer to it as T2 all the time... but that's not the film's name, that's a nickname, or shorthand. I like for the official title to be fully spelled out on things like the DVD, or posters, or any official release like that. It just doesn't look professional to put the shorthand... it just seems lazy and sloppy... and kinda cheap.

I dunno. I just don't like it.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

I just preordered as I already sold the previous edition. The upgrade in audio alone made me double dip.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Default t2

lets see,

bought 2 different version of this on laserdisc,
probably twice on dvd.

seen it 20 times at least.

I think i am done with this on.....hehe