'The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Default 'The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' has been posted. This remake is all mechanics and no charm. This Blu-ray however is demo material, with five star video and audio and some nice extras, including the original film! This is a good disc for a bad flick.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2126...still2008.html
Old 05-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Our review of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' has been posted. This remake is all mechanics and no charm. This Blu-ray however is demo material, with five star video and audio and some nice extras, including the original film! This is a good disc for a bad flick.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2126...still2008.html
I was terribly disappointed in the film itself. I rented it from Netflix and the review is right. Nice looking picture. Nice audio. The film drug and really just got uninteresting the longer it went on. It's a shame. The trailer for this film was better than the actual movie itself. Freddy
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM

I predict when Star Wars films hit Blu-Ray with Lossless audio, those will beat this disc hands down. Not to say this is not a good disc with a horrible movie on it, I just do not believe it is the best around. Quatum of Solace was a great disc with an insane sound mix.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Well we all need coasters for our tables to put our cups and cans on.

The review is dead on, stick with the 1951 movie
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Agreed with the reviewer. The movie sucked. Do yourself a favor and just buy the old movie, much much better. One thing I hated about the 2008 version was the vast amount of Hollywood political speak. The original did it with much better language and emotion. I will say this, Keanu makes for a great emotionless alien trying to understand humanity.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM

The movie was atrocious and I was hoping Will Smith's kid was going to be eaten by the little metal flies!

Oh and by the way "and in typical American haste to blow up what we don't understand" is about the dumbest line of dialog I've ever read in a review. ANY CIVILIZATION, no matter how "sophisticated" destroys what it doesn't understand. I'd love to see what the Iranians or Russians would have done if the movie was set there.

Stop bringing out the "dumb" in your reviews.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Saw it in the theater and have to admit I thought there'd be more to it. I haven't seen the original and didn't know anything about the story. I only knew this was a remake. I agree with the review. There were parts that really held your attention then just as quickly you're tapping your toes.

On a side note Jayden Smiths character was the most annoying since Jar Jar Binks to me. By the half way point it was the only time I hoped something would happen to take a child's character out (not killed but somehow out of the story).

Like I said I've never seen the orginal but I can still tell this movie missed a lot of potential. Oh and the "green theme stuff" Peter was talking about IS gag inducing.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM

I wish they would have just done a sequel with this cast or something.
Spoiler
After all, the original ends with the message of "We left you alone cause you are warlike, but now you are getting outside the space of your planet, which threatens us, so stop it or we'll get rid of you!" - Why not make it about the return visit where we have to prove that we are finally gonna stop it to save the planet or something? Even better, end it with the planet being blown up as a message to audiences and the world. I would have even been ok if they summarized the original in in a recap with new shots using a new cast.
Now any such sequel will be taken as a sequel to this crap rather than the original. That's why I hate Disney straight to video sequels. What if someone some day had a GOOD idea for "Lady and the Tramp 2"? Too bad, someone already made that movie on video and it sucked. Maybe after enough time this version will be more forgotten and someone could make a sequel to the original.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Again, I find myself in the minority here. Ahhh!

I absolutely loved this movie; I found it engaging, riveting, and most of all, extremely interesting. It is unfair to compare it to the original because this edition isn't a clone copy of the original; rather, it is a re-interpretation. Now true, I haven't seen the original and have no plans of doing such. Why? Because it's old, technologically antiquated, and would hurt my eyes watching such atrociously horrific 'special effects'. I also refuse to watch black and white movies. The 2008 version has been adapted to 2008 technology and contemporary views. This movie's environmental message is so true and worth paying attention to.

This is a must own, which I will be buying.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictrmbl View Post
Again, I find myself in the minority here. Ahhh!

I absolutely loved this movie; I found it engaging, riveting, and most of all, extremely interesting. It is unfair to compare it to the original because this edition isn't a clone copy of the original; rather, it is a re-interpretation. Now true, I haven't seen the original and have no plans of doing such. Why? Because it's old, technologically antiquated, and would hurt my eyes watching such atrociously horrific 'special effects'. I also refuse to watch black and white movies. The 2008 version has been adapted to 2008 technology and contemporary views. This movie's environmental message is so true and worth paying attention to.

This is a must own, which I will be buying.
My jaw dropped..... thats hard to do.... I've read some shit on these forums before.