How have your Classic Film Favorites held up on Blu? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 AM

Default How have your Classic Film Favorites held up on Blu?

I am a product of the 80's. I spent my teen years watching movies on late night cable, early VW sized VHS machines, and smaller than most of you would believe tube TVs. Over the years, my favorites have been butchered by poor video quality, pan and scan, and editing due to time constraint.

I am now 42 years old. I have owned countless S-VHS Machines, Laser Disc players, and DVD players. I have had 27", 32", 36", and 40" tube CRTs. I even had, for a short time on loan, a Kloss Nova Beam front projection system.

I now own the gear listed below and am thrilled to see many of my all time favorite films released on Blu. I've seen many posts bashing older films for looking dated or lacking that modern luster and sparkle of more recent productions. I'm just glad to be able to finally see some of these gems look as good as they can on a home media format.

2001, Blade Runner, Poltergeist, The Thing all look amazing on Blu. I can't wait for others like Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, and oh yes, The Exorcist, to arrive. How do the rest of you feel? Is this Blu Ray thing really just for the latest and greatest? Or can it possibly make us all happy?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 AM

My definition of classic films and yours are pretty far apart.

I wish there were more movies from before 1970 on the format. I can't wait for Lawrence of Arabia, for instance. As it stands, Adventures of Robin Hood and Casablanca are easily two of my favorite discs. Great image quality and incredible extras. I also love Forbidden Planet (on HD DVD). I plan to pick up Seventh Voyage of Sinbad this weekend from Fry's for $10. I keep hoping someone talented would revisit Sinbad today. 2001 is quite amazing looking, and a fantastic piece of cinema. Wild Bunch is another great disc with great extras.

I recommend any of the above (as well as The Thing and Blade Runner).
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 AM

It never ceases to amaze me when the whole "too old to benefit from HD" sentiment is expressed. Simply because it is so very wrong. Older films from the aforementioned Casablanca to more recently release fare like Gigi and The Robe are simply stunning in high definition. The upgrade over their standard def. counterparts is easily apparent and I still do not understand the argument people try to make against old films on Blu-ray.

All the films mentioned thus far in the thread are excellent examples, but really, I have not seen an older film on Blu-ray or HD-DVD that has not benefited from it yet.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM

godfather held up very well in HD!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM

I am a child of the 80s (I'm 28 rather than 42) but I can't really justify classifying films from that era as "classic" quite yet. Perhaps "modern classic" would be more fitting but only when applied to films that truly deserve it (Do the Right Thing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, This is Spinal Tap, etc.)

As for my take on what I consider true classics:

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Casablanca, and An American in Paris are all terrific releases for pre-60s releases from Warner. The Searchers is good enough to be a demo disc for classic releases. Not every title may be a revelation -- such as Deliverance for example -- but they are still far superior to their DVD counterparts. There are still others in which it's kinda hard to tell even a difference between the upscaled DVD and the BD without a direct side-by-side comparison (The French Connection and The Dirty Dozen spring to mind) but there are plenty of releases that I have been floored by. These include titles that received little to no fanfare from anyone when released. Titles like Cool Hand Luke and Kramer vs. Kramer which absolutely is a revelation.

One of the oldest films to see a BD release is Pinocchio and it boasts a jaw-droppingly gorgeous restored transfer. Safe to say you can trust nearly any Disney classic release to be stunning. I can't wait to see some of their live-action stuff like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson.

I treasure the classic films on BD that have been released thus far and look forward to already announced fare such as:

The Graduate
M*A*S*H
The Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
Ben-Hur
North by Northwest
Dr. Strangelove
Easy Rider (has been hinted at for release this year)
The Towering Inferno
Woodstock
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM

that "I'm a product of the 80s" line just makes you sound unnecessarily old!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Most movies i've seen that are from the 80s backwards, have looked pretty good on blu-ray and HD DVD.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM

I think for the most part the classics and modern clasics have been remastered and restore pretty good. I think Terminator looks pretty good, maybe not perfect, Superman looks quite good, and Casablance look really good on either format.

I hate say it, but I'm dreading the Exorcist, if the director is doing the work on it.

Oh I'm glad I didn't go see Howard The Duck and waste my money, just like some of my grade school friends did. Although I'm considering getting Howard The Duck on DVD.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
I am a child of the 80s (I'm 28 rather than 42) but I can't really justify classifying films from that era as "classic" quite yet. Perhaps "modern classic" would be more fitting but only when applied to films that truly deserve it (Do the Right Thing, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, This is Spinal Tap, etc.)

As for my take on what I consider true classics:

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Casablanca, and An American in Paris are all terrific releases for pre-60s releases from Warner. The Searchers is good enough to be a demo disc for classic releases. Not every title may be a revelation -- such as Deliverance for example -- but they are still far superior to their DVD counterparts. There are still others in which it's kinda hard to tell even a difference between the upscaled DVD and the BD without a direct side-by-side comparison (The French Connection and The Dirty Dozen spring to mind) but there are plenty of releases that I have been floored by. These include titles that received little to no fanfare from anyone when released. Titles like Cool Hand Luke and Kramer vs. Kramer which absolutely is a revelation.

One of the oldest films to see a BD release is Pinocchio and it boasts a jaw-droppingly gorgeous restored transfer. Safe to say you can trust nearly any Disney classic release to be stunning. I can't wait to see some of their live-action stuff like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson.

I treasure the classic films on BD that have been released thus far and look forward to already announced fare such as:

The Graduate
M*A*S*H
The Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
Ben-Hur
North by Northwest
Dr. Strangelove
Easy Rider (has been hinted at for release this year)
The Towering Inferno
Woodstock

I appreciate your definition of The True Film Classic...I also think that there may be more to the term Classic Film than the era in which it was made. For me, it's the movies that made me a fan of film in the first place. Alien certainly made an impression on me, more so than any sequel to follow.

I plan to pick up Casablanca, Kramer vs. Kramer, and Cool Hand Luke today.
They've been on my short list for some time.

After reading the review of The French Connection, I have held off from putting down the cash to own it. And that is more to my point, there may be times in which catastrophe can occur during the HiDef upgrade. I just hope that my classics, the True Classics, and even the Modern Classics, continue to be produced with great attention and care.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
that "I'm a product of the 80s" line just makes you sound unnecessarily old!
You are only as old as you feel! Or is it "as you look?" Either way...I'm doing just fine.