Battlestar Galactica blu,best blind buy EVER? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Default Battlestar Galactica blu,best blind buy EVER?

so much mega hype for the show, is it justified?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Who the heck would ever be stupid enough to "blind buy" a $200.00+ blu-ray disc set?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Please learn to use the search function. This didn't need its own thread. There's already a bsg thread you could have posted in.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 AM

This is an excellent Sci-Fi series that had an extremely problematic final season. I really recommend a rental of this show on regular DVD. Having seen the HD masters(and not the HD-DVD) the video quality on the DVD to BD is indistinguishable. There is no improvement in color, or fine detail. Some minor blocking is gone but other times it's still there. The audio is similar to the DVD except the BD track will run hot.

I love this show. But would not tell you to blind buy it. Especially after the disappointing previous final season. And the value of DVD to BD.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
This is an excellent Sci-Fi series that had an extremely problematic final season. I really recommend a rental of this show on regular DVD. Having seen the HD masters(and not the HD-DVD) the video quality on the DVD to BD is indistinguishable. There is no improvement in color, or fine detail. Some minor blocking is gone but other times it's still there. The audio is similar to the DVD except the BD track will run hot.

I love this show. But would not tell you to blind buy it. Especially after the disappointing previous final season. And the value of DVD to BD.
Thats exactly what I was gonna say! Great show and I didnt even mind the final season. But, the DVDs are 90% as good as the blu-rays and WAY cheaper. The show was shot with bloated contrast, muted colors and heavy grain. That means the blu-ray release magnifies all those issues. It works for the show, dont get me wrong, but the HD "upgrade" is trivial at best. Those that argue otherwise are just trying to justify their $200 dollar expenditure.

A rental is the right call here. Also, remember that sometimes over-hyped shows and movies end up letting you down because you're going in with such high expectations.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 AM

First 2-3 seasons were great, but they seemed to go downhill after that. Still a good series overall, but not enough for me to through down $200 on.