Star Trek - The Original Series - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM

Default Star Trek - The Original Series

A girl friend of mine walked past while I was watching the new Blu Ray set of Star Trek last night and stopped in her tracks while exclaiming, "That looks amazing!" This coming from a girl who hates Star Trek.

Needless to say, I think this set is fantastic and well worth the $65. There are thirty episodes including one of the best episodes of television in the history of t.v. -- "The City on the Edge of Forever." The picture quality matches or bests many current film and tv shows that have made their way to the format, so this really is a spectacular visual feast. If you like Sci Fi or just enjoy a show that explores excellent ideas, this is the Blu Ray set for you.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

It's a Trekker's wet dream, that's for sure! One (potentially stupid) question, though--I've just started experimenting with BD-Live features; can I download the exclusive featurettes and save them to my PS3's hard drive, or do I have to download them each time I want to view them?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM

You can save them to the hard drive. The problem standalone player users may have is the limited amount of flash memory their player may possess, so they might have to delete them in the future to download other features. However, with a you've likely got more memory than you'll use for saved games and other such things, so download and save away.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM

Yeah CBS really kicked butt when they remastered and restored these shows. By all accounts this set looks better than the Trek films which were (miss)handled by Paramount directly.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm a happy (space) camper! I've watched 2 episodes and I can't get over how good they look. I've seen all the episodes many times over the years and owned the previous DVD sets, but it never looked like this. There are occasional soft shots, but over-all they great -- and sometimes truly startling.

I like the new FX too!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 PM

I have this on HD DVD, and my wife saw me watching it the other day. Her comment was, "Wow, William Shatner was really good looking!". :P
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm totally in love with this set.

I was a bit leery of the new special effects beforehand but after watching several episodes, I doubt I'll ever watch the original versions again. It's like watch TOS with TNG effects...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Any reason why they are not in order of broadcast?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 AM

In doing some research, are these presented in production order?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM

The HD DVDs were presented in production order.... So I'm guessing these probably would be as well, but they should also have little cards that tell you the air date order if you want to watch it like that.