'Gigi' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Default 'Gigi' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has just completed another kick-ass classic film review. This time he's checked out 'Gigi.' He says this musical took the genre out on a high point. This Blu-ray features an excellent transfer with restored picture and sound, along with some good supplements. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1387/gigi.html
Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM

I don't think it was a bad move and is worth at least checking out on BD.

So what year in MGM's history does Fox start to have the rights to and warner? Does Warner just have the rights to the early work, and Polterghist?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-bird View Post
I don't think it was a bad move and is worth at least checking out on BD.

So what year in MGM's history does Fox start to have the rights to and warner? Does Warner just have the rights to the early work, and Polterghist?
Fox doesn't have any rights to any of MGM's library - they just have a distribution agreement for releasing MGM films on DVD and Blu-ray.

Ted Turner bought MGM in 1985, and acquired the rights to the MGM library up to that point, which included the pre 1950 Warner catalog. But due to financing problems, he only owned it for a short time, but kept the MGM library up to 1985 when he sold it. When Turner Broadcasting Network merged with Time Warner in 1996, Warner got the pre 1985 MGM catalog, plus it's pre 1950 catalog back.

Back on topic, I remember watching Gigi a thousand years ago with my parents. My mother loved musicals and often sang along; my father, brother and I generally endured the musicals, but I do remember Gigi fondly.

The review sure makes it sound attractive, but I'm not sure how much repeat viewing value it would have for me. But it looks like Blockbuster in not carrying the blu-ray, only the 50 year anniversary DVD. Decisions, decisions . .
Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM

From the review:

"No production numbers or overblown fantasy ballets disrupt the leisurely flow"

Is this why we haven't seen a review of An American in Paris?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermono View Post
Post of the day.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
From the review:

"No production numbers or overblown fantasy ballets disrupt the leisurely flow"
Not at all. Despite that comment, I'm a big fan of 'An American in Paris,' and am still hoping to review it. Unfortunately, a snafu on Warner's end prevented us from obtaining a screener. They were able to come through finally with a 'Gigi' screener (hence the delayed review), but we're still waiting (and hoping) to get 'AAIP.'

For the record, I love production numbers and even the occasional overblown fantasy ballet (The Girl Hunt from 'The Band Wagon' and Broadway Ballet from 'Singin' in the Rain' are two of my favorites; Slaughter on Tenth Avenue from 'Words and Music' is up there, too.), but they have to fit the material. I felt it was important to point out that 'Gigi' was not a typical musical in that regard, and that all the "numbers" sprang naturally from the plot and often moved the story along.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Not at all. Despite that comment, I'm a big fan of 'An American in Paris,' and am still hoping to review it. Unfortunately, a snafu on Warner's end prevented us from obtaining a screener. They were able to come through finally with a 'Gigi' screener (hence the delayed review), but we're still waiting (and hoping) to get 'AAIP.'
Been looking forward to a review of AAIP as well. I'm kind of skeptical on that one - apparently Warner wasn't able to restore the audio track like the did with Gigi, as the specs say only Dolby Digital Mono. The audio is a big part of the high def experience for me, and it sounds like AAIP will be similar to Bonnie & Clyde - decent high-def PQ, but the tinny DD audio really detracts from the high-def experience.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:

If only that were the reason....
Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 PM

David, in the extras section you say the the original non-musical French version is in HD. Are you sure? Looking at it, and it isn't very good a print as they said, it seems like it is SD.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 PM

both of these films are wonderful imo.
I really can't see how anyone would think differently.
I am bummed that there seems to be a lull now for any "new" announcements for 40's or 50's classics.
besides "anne frank" and the Warner titles, we seem to have unfortunately entered a drought as far as the major studios are concerned.
hope things pick up soon.