Questions for anyone that bought the original release of 'X-Men 3: The Last Stand' - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Questions for anyone that bought the original release of 'X-Men 3: The Last Stand'

I still, for the life of me, cant decide if I am going to buy the box set or just buy X-Men 1 & 2. Has anyone who bought the original releae of X-Men 3 had a chance to compare the image quality with the newer release?? Is it worth double dipping for a movie that is, imho, the weaker of the trilogy or should I just keep the one I have...sans the extra features. Is the pq on the re release better or worse than the original release? I need some good input/advice on this...kind of driving me nuts.

Thanks for all responses.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM

It's the same encode on both releases.

PQ is identical.

However, I'd advise getting the boxset. X3 is super discounted that way, you get all of those new extras and digital copies for all three movies (something that is exclusive to the boxset).
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 PM

I think the only real change is that the new Last Stand has 50 GB instead of 25 GB and few new extras. No I didn't get the new BD of the third one and all did was get first two from Best Buy.

I would probably say stick with the old BD, unless you have a good deal on the box set. Also you might be more likely to be able to find the sticker for the free ticket for the new X-men movie, if you get the movies seperate.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM

One of the extras is an amazing documentary on the history of the comic book series. So basically, you are missing out if you don't get the new version of X-Men III.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
One of the extras is an amazing documentary on the history of the comic book series. So basically, you are missing out if you don't get the new version of X-Men III.
That is probably why I am still entertaining the idea of double dipping this flick. If the pq was better than the older release, I would be all in for the double dip. It is just that this movie is the weakest of the three and I am asking myself if this movie, which was meh,imho, is worth the $$ just for the extras and a digital copy I wont use. Yeah I get the free movie ticket advantage but I can live without that for now because I will probably see this movie more than once. I think I am going to go into BB and if the first two flicks are there..that is what I will get. If BB does not have the first two in stock, I will go to Costco and get the box set fro $50.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 AM

i got X3 a while back during a sale. but i think i'll get the boxset for the extras and just give my copy to someone. damn you double dips! :P
Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

A couple of people discussed this issue at the DVDTalk forums; I have consolidated their conversation into one point of information:

"FYI, the back of my original release X3 The Last Stand reads AVC @ 18 mbps. The new version from my box set reads AVC @ 19.5 mbps. The original release was on a single layer BD-25 disc, while the new release uses a dual layer BD-50 disc...so this new encode is given more 'room to breathe' as they say...According to all the reviews I have seen, there is a very slight improvement in the picture quality, but it isn't a dramatic difference as both are sourced from the same HD master...".
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm in this same boat as well. I think I'll look for a good price on the box set and eBay the third one at some point.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I still, for the life of me, cant decide if I am going to buy the box set or just buy X-Men 1 & 2. Has anyone who bought the original releae of X-Men 3 had a chance to compare the image quality with the newer release?? Is it worth double dipping for a movie that is, imho, the weaker of the trilogy or should I just keep the one I have...sans the extra features. Is the pq on the re release better or worse than the original release? I need some good input/advice on this...kind of driving me nuts.

Thanks for all responses.
What size screen are you watching on? With the very minimal improvements reported I would take into account the size of your screen when deciding whether or not to upgrade....
Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Just got back from Costco. BB did not have any copies or box sets of X-Men on the shelves. Walked to Target and all three were there..except they wanted $25 for each and there were no box sets there. Costco had 1 box set left. For $50...not too bad and I did not want to drive anywhere to find the stand alone films of X-Men 1&2. I also bought 'Sin City' and 'Quatam Of Solace' for $25 each. All total: $102.60 for 5 blu movies.