'South Pacific' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Default 'South Pacific' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'South Pacific.' He says the movie is far from perfect, but it honors this American institution well. This Blu-ray on the other hand features exquisite video, solid audio, and comprehensive extras. Worth a look!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2005...cific1958.html
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM

I love this bd.
Fox has really issued some great titles recently.
highly recommended.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I love this bd.
Fox has really issued some great titles recently.
highly recommended.
Definitely agree - a fantastic transfer combined with a really excellent package of extras (the documentary hosted by Gaynor is absolutely top-notch and comprehensive). I only hope that Oklahoma receives a similar treatment soon!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 PM

I can't believe what i've just seen

I Netflixed this one and i've got to say i'm totally shocked how good this film looked. I'm a believe in the TODD-AO processing of filmaking cause this looked beautiful!! No, don't get me wrong it doesn't look like a modern era film but it looks incredibly good. Lots of sharpness and colors that just pop throughout the whole film. At no time did it seem that colors looked pushed into an unnatural range. The detail was outstanding throughout this film. I must say this is the best i've ever seen an older film look on BD.

As for the audio, don't expect miracles. There's no way it's going to sound like today's films and while it doesn't have the depth and mix you would hear in a modern feature, it does exhibit very good sound quality.

Overall an amazing presentation.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Lemme get this straight, 5 star video, 4 star audio, and 5 star extras. And that's "Worth a Look." What exactly would make this "Recommended?"
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Will def have to out this one. I have heard pretty good reviews on this one.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM

While the review was very positive in most respects, when I read:

"the marquee track is a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix that sounds great, but never quite delivers the level of power and nuance we expect. The overture's opening strains, marked by dimensional, full-bodied sound with wonderful tonal depth and presence, really grabbed my attention, but once the film begins, the track settles down and doesn't distinguish itself beyond the norm."

I know this is review is just an opinion, and I realize that David gave a great review to the disc, but I am stunned to read the audio part of the review and the final thoughts on which people should give it a spin first. David, what kind of "power and nuance" are you expecting? For a 1959 film, this blows away everything else from the 50's. Never have I heard a studio orchestra from the 1950's sound so full and wonderful, and the vocal recordings are so crystal clear and rich. This is way beyond anything released during the same period. I expect Oklahoma and The King and I to sound very similar.

Fox had the best sound department in the business during the 50's and spent way beyond the "norm" for the Rodgers and Hammerstein movie sound recordings. Throughout this film, the soundtrack goes MILES ahead of the "norm," David. Listen to some of the other films released the same year and compare them with South Pacific. No contest. No comparison. Period. The crispness of the vocals, the lush richness of the orchestra, the high and low end come alive, there simply is not any better sound available from the 1950's anywhere than there is on this Blu-ray disc. The sound remains the same throughout the entire film, I am not sure what you are hearing at the start that "settles down and doesn't distinguish itself beyond the norm." Are you serious? I've heard plenty of movie soundtracks from the 1950's and this is just exceptional from start to end.

I have rarely seen High Def Digest give a classic film a 5 star rating for sound. And this is the first one (aside from How the West was Won) that totally deserves it. Does a movie have to sound like the new King Kong or Ironman to get a 5? How about comparing it to other films of the era, and if you really did that South Pacific would get a 5. I'd love to know what made you go one star lower to a 4.

Granted the review gave alot of cudos to this disc, but I just had a problem with several of the statements. Other sites are calling this the classic disc of the year and we are only 4 months into the year.

I have owned every single release (since VHS) of all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films, I can honestly say that they were probably the best recordings in Hollywood in the 1950's. Fox has beautifully preserved the tracks here and I highly recommend that people don't, as suggested, "take it for a spin first" instead I suggest that if they like classics at all, they run, not walk, and buy a copy because this is a must in any film lover's collection and I think you will all agree just how stunning both the picture AND the sound are. Fox, you outdid yourself with this release, BRAVO! Probably the best presentation of a classic film on any home media I have ever seen. Out of 5, I give this a 6 for picture AND sound (not compared to new movies but compared to any other films of its era). It's actually hard to believe that you are watching and listening to a film from the late 1950's.

The release of a classic on Blu-ray disc like this with the quality it contains is a true celebration for movie lovers.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 AM

lol
yeah "worth a look" hardly describes what is happening here.
this is a total classic that now can be enjoyed at home almost like you were in the theater in 1958.
I cannot wait for the other R&H musicals from Fox.
If this release is any indication they will all be amazing.
I just can't get over how awesome this release is.
Likewise "The Robe" blew me away also.
Fox is really on fire right now.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Fox is really on fire right now.
Don't say that to Universal....
Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Bunnies View Post
Lemme get this straight, 5 star video, 4 star audio, and 5 star extras. And that's "Worth a Look." What exactly would make this "Recommended?"
If the movie itself was better...

As I say in the Final Thoughts section of the review, if you're a fan of musicals, definitely grab this disc, but if not, then you really need to "test drive" the movie before plunking down the $$ for a purchase. For most people, 'South Pacific' is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of movie, so unless you're already on board, you need to see it first.

Another way to put it might be "Great Disc, So-So Flick."