'Roxanne' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Default 'Roxanne' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has revisited 'Roxanne.' He says this one is a Steve Martin gem. This Blu-ray isn't any showstopper however, with fairly average video and audio and no extras. For fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2101/roxanne.html
Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM

I will probably pick this up when it is 14.99 or cheaper because I like the movie and don't own it in any form and I feel it is sort of timeless and thus rewatchable. Too bad about the lack of extras.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

This is such a charming movie. I always enjoy it. Not sure I need to own this one, but if the price is right... say under $10, I'd strongly consider it.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure if I will rent or buy it.

I would loved a special edtion version, if they ever make one.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM

i haven't seen this in forever, always liked it though when i was younger
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 AM

Great movie, but I wasn't expecting much as far as great PQ/AQ are concerned, and I guess that's about right... It's a comedy though...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

I think fans of the film will be pleased with the high-def presentation, it's about as good as one could expect from the film. There are some scenes that are actually quite impressive too. I could take screenshots for those curious, if some aren't available already.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 AM

Watched this tonight and I WAS pleased with the high-def presentation! I found it to be a very nice upgrade from the standard-def DVD. And in more ways that one:

• The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is fantastic! The soundtrack score filled the room far better than standard-def DVD.
• The video is definitely an upgrade! Not "reference" Blu-ray quality but not anywhere near what I would call bad or even average. It looked great on my 70" screen!
• MOST important... We FINALLY have a version of Roxanne with the PROPER ASPECT RATIO! All of the previous video versions were zoomed in, cutting off too much on the left and right. In one scene, when Roxanne is talking to CD on the mountain side about wanting to meet Chris, you can see CD's expression change when he realizes she's not talking about him. On all prior video versions his face is cut off on the side of the screen and you don't get the full impact of his expression change. This has bugged me for years! Finally, the Blu-ray restores the missing screen acreage!

BTW, that fact alone proves that Peter is wrong about this possibly being a rehash of the old DVD transfer! I really think Peter under-rated this Blu-ray!

Mark