'Last Starfighter' -- pre-release thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
PeterB

Default 'Last Starfighter' -- pre-release thread

Here comes the '80s cult classic:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/laststarfighter.html

Tech specs are 1080p/AVC video and DTS-MA audio.

Extras are the same as previous versions, with audio commentary, featurette, still gallery and trailer. Plus BD-Live connectivity.

Street date is August 4, and MSRP $29.98.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Please let this have a better video encode/source than the HD-DVD version....!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Agreed, I love this movie, but if it's from the same source, I won't triple-dip.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM

one of those classic 80s movies i love and always watch when its on tv but never owned in any format, not even VHS!!!

this is a definate buy for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM

To underscore some of the other members' concerns, this really needs some sort of new encode from a different master. Buyer beware on this one, I'd really recommend waiting for some reviews and/or screenshots before commiting your hard earned dollars on this one.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Trust me, pass this one up on High-Def altogether. I have the HD-DVD version, and the computer generated graphics of the era are so clear... it's just too obvious that it's fake. I bet it's even worse on Blu.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM

i also saw it on hd dvd and it wasn't good video or audio
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM

I doubt the CGI looks any more fake than it did in theaters of the era. I don't think it looked real then, just better than anything we'd seen. Yes, modern effects made older ones more apparent, and HD keeps the picture clear. With DVD the compression and lower resolution would muddy up the picture to make the effects blend better, though that isn't true to the theatrical version. However, unless you stick with only new movies or ones without big effects, things a decade or more old will always look less realistic than what you just saw in a new release.

I do agree that the HD-DVD is sub-par, I bought it when HD-DVD was dying and I didn't know how long it would be until a Blu-ray release, so I snagged it then. If it is the same video encode, or similar, I'll pass and stick with my HD-DVD. I'm pretty sure it used the same master made for DVD. This could also make the CGI look worse, if it is edge enhancing or removing grain that helped disguise it in the theater, it may give it a shinier look than originally. I'll definitely wait for reviews, and if they are no better, hope that someday we get a copy that is.

With Disney's good record, especially lately with the classic animated titles, or newer pixar movies and live-action releases such as "Bedtime Stories", I can't wait to see a Blu-ray of Tron. Maybe they are waiting to time it with the sequel.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
Trust me, pass this one up on High-Def altogether. I have the HD-DVD version, and the computer generated graphics of the era are so clear... it's just too obvious that it's fake. I bet it's even worse on Blu.
What else would anyone expect?

It was the 80s and one of the first times CGI was used in a film. I seriously doubt anyone is going to buy this on BD expecting mind blowing visuals. They will buy it for the memories of seeing it as a kid and for wanting to see a classic in the best quality they can.

Sorry, but I find that a bit of a daft statement to make.

This would be like trying to sway someone away from watching the star wars originals, or an old 50s B-Movie in high definition just because the visuals are dated by todays standards.

A film like this is about the memories, the story, the action, the romance, not whether the visuals are dated by todays standards.

Besides! The dated visuals in starfighter are what give it its charm for me! I would love to see it in BD, even with them looking "clear" and untextured.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Founding Member

I Hope they do a new transfer the HD DVD was not good