M. Night Shyamalan's Signs: double dip coming? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Default M. Night Shyamalan's Signs: double dip coming?

Apparently from producer Frank Marshall. If true, quite annoying news.

http://twitter.com/LeDoctor/statuses/1513713253
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I saw that too.

That's some bullshit.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM

I guess I'm in the minority for being happy to read when a studio does this to an early release.

I'm going to create my own format where the studio sells masters (instead of disc media) and we have them encoded however we like, to fit the current techs needs and can be updated whenever we wish. Would be nice.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
I guess I'm in the minority for being happy to read when a studio does this to an early release.
Signs came out less than a year ago on blu-ray. It's not exactly an early release.... in any sense of the term. This isn't a botched MPEG-2/BD-25 release from 2006 completely devoid of supplements..... the Signs disc is an AVC/BD-50 release with all the extras from the DVD.

For them to be considering a double dip this early is odd.

Then again, this is just a twitter post. Are they working on a new master for an eveutual double dip? I don't doubt it one bit. But I also don't think we should expect a new disc for some time.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Signs came out less than a year ago on blu-ray. It's not exactly an early release.... in any sense of the term. This isn't a botched MPEG-2/BD-25 release from 2006 completely devoid of supplements..... the Signs disc is an AVC/BD-50 release with all the extras from the DVD.

For them to be considering a double dip this early is odd.

Then again, this is just a twitter post. Are they working on a new master for an eveutual double dip? I don't doubt it one bit. But I also don't think we should expect a new disc for some time.
that is exactly why its not odd, the BD was just a port of the DVD, if they had the BD ready before they planned to rerelease Signs probably in a new special edition on DVD and BD its really been about 7 years since the other release.

Same situation with Full Metal Jacket, it was released on BD because its a popular title that sold well on DVD so they ported it to BD, when the video was remastered and new supplements prepared for the Kubrick Collection rerelease its not like they werent going to put the new version on BD just because they had put the other version out less than a year before.

another similar situation would have been Gattaca, but the original announced release was canceled, likely because they knew of the plans to release a new special edition on DVD and BD so they just held back until it was ready

Last edited by squall4008; 04-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

I was already burned by The No Country For Old Men business. I ended up changing my Blu-ray buying habits by being extremely selective about BD releases. This news solidifies my actions.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Well I never got around to buying the version that is in stores now, so it looks like i'll hold off until something is confirmed.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Talking

Why you guys bought Signs in the first place is beyond me....

Movies like Signs give me hope that one day soon I can make a bad movie and get people to buy it multiple times too

Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Why you guys bought Signs in the first place is beyond me....

Movies like Signs give me hope that one day soon I can make a bad movie and get people to buy it multiple times too

Why you felt the need to make that statement is beyond me.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
Why you felt the need to make that statement is beyond me.
can't take a joke?