Two Diffrent Blu-ray Versions Of The 1951 "The Day The Earth Stood Still" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Default Two Diffrent Blu-ray Versions Of The 1951 "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

For fans of the Day the Earth Stood Still 1951 version, there are two versions of the movie available on BLU-RAY. The latest version of the movie is included in a 3 Disc Special Edition that was released on April 7th 2009.

3 Disc Bonus Edition of the Day the Earth Stood Still UPC Code:024543569800

Disc 1 dual layer 39.7GB BLU-RAY 2008 version of the movie with Bonus features:

Commentary by Screenwriter David Scarpa
Picture In Picture Bonusview: Klaatu's Unseen Artifacts
Build Your Own Gort Interactive Experience
Deleted Scenes
Re-Imagining The Day Documentary
Unleashing Fort Featurette
Watching The Skies: In Search Of Extaterrestrial Life Featurette
The Day The Earth Was "Green" Featurette
Still Galleries
Enhanced For D-Box Control

Disc 2 is a 3.06GB DVD-ROM that is a digital copy of the 2008 movie for portable players (digital copy below the quality of a 480I DVD version)

Disc 3 BLU-RAY contains the original 1951 version of the movie (single layer 21GB):
Since the 2008 movie was not that popular I guess 20th Century Fox decided to include a free 1951 version of the movie too increase sales of the 2008 movie version. This BLU-RAY disc is a single layer 21GB version of the movie with no bonus features or commentary tracks.

For those that are big Fans of the 1951 movie you will want to get the original release UPC Code: 024543554660

The Day the Earth Stood still 1951 BLU-RAY movie was released on 12-2-2008 on a dual layer 40.9GB disc that contains commentary tracks and many interesting bonus features.

Features:
Interactive Theremin: Create Your Own Score And Gort Command!
Interactive Game
Commentary by Director Robert Wise and Nicolas Meyer
All-New Commentary by Film & Music Historians John Morgan, Steven Smith, William Stromberg & Nick Redman
Isolated Score Track
The Mysterious, Melodious Theremin: Main Title Live Performance
The Making Of The Day The Earth Stood Still
Decoding "Klaatu, Barada, Nikto"; Science Fiction As Metaphor
A Brief History of Flying Saucers
The Astounding Harry Bates
Edmund North: The Man Who Made The Earth Stand Still
Race To Oblivion Documentary Short
Farewell To The Master: An Audio Presentation Of The Original Short Story
Fox Movietonews from 1951
Trailers
Interactive Pressbook
Still Galleries
Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't had time to compare the two. Glad I have the stand alone version of the original now.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

But is the bitrate bumped up on the single-layer version since it doesn't have to share space with any bonus features? In other words, does it look and/or sound even better than the special edition release that came out a few months back? I own both but haven't had time to do an A/B comparison...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
But is the bitrate bumped up on the single-layer version since it doesn't have to share space with any bonus features? In other words, does it look and/or sound even better than the special edition release that came out a few months back? I own both but haven't had time to do an A/B comparison...
That would be my guess. It is most likely the same encode minus all the special features. I own the 3 disc (2008 + the original) copy of this but have not had a chance to watch it yet.

But yeah, if you are a huge fan of the original, you will probably want the version that is packed with extras.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

My understanding is the 1951 movie encoding is exactly the same for the single layer 21GB and dual layer 40.9GB (I would have to do a bit rate compare to make sure). There are so many extra features on the original release that almost double the space is used. I would rather see studios offer dual layer high bit rate HD encodes for the movie and place the extra features on a second disc to improve on the picture quality. The 1951 black and white feature looks good at 21GB with DTS-HD Master audio but with modern movies with better film stock I hope Super Bit HD BLU-RAY discs come out one day. I remember the days of Super bit DVD releases where the entire movie was encoded at a super high bit rate over an entire dual later 8.5GB DVD with no extras to maximize the best quality video and audio of a 480I DVD. One day the same thing could be done with BLU-RAY with 50GB discs.