'The Tale of Despereaux’ - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Default 'The Tale of Despereaux’ - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'The Tale of Despereaux.’ He hated it. (Editor's Note - I could never even get through the previews for this one!) He says the movie fails, and while the disc has some highpoints, it also misses the mark. This one is for fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2092...espereaux.html
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Hmm......

Wow, he really, really, really hated this thing. And that fine.

I do, however, have a problem with the way this reviewer presents exclusive extras in his reviews. Just like the Futurama review posted a few weeks ago, the picture-in-picture track is (or in this case, tracks are), for some reason, only passably mentioned in the regular supplements section and then completely omitted from the exclusives.

Quote:
Since this is a Universal Blu Ray release, it’s got U-Control and BD Live. Yep. That’s about it.
^^^ that is far to vague.

This isn't just a case of being U-Control enabled with, say, only a tutorial included. Despereaux has two extensive PiP tracks — the first featuring storyboard/sketch comparisons with the other offering table readings, producer & actor comments as well as behind-the-scenes footage of the voice recording sessions.

That's a pretty big exclusive supplement to miss.

And the "Card Creator" BD-Live feature is not touched upon either (other than the vague "it's got BD-Live" comment.)
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Wow, 1 star LOL.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

Damn Drew, tell us what you REALLY think why don't ya.

I admit the movie's opening gets off to an odd start but once Desperaux came on the scene, the movie became much more entertaining and endearing. Btw, just because a movie features flashback segments doesn't mean that it's ripping off LOST.

While I respect a critics thoughts on the movie itself. I am most displeased with the half-assed technical portion of the review. You hardly wrote anything regarding the PQ and AQ and you also didn't detail any of the U-Control and Bd-Live features. Just because you don't like a particular movie doesn't give you the excuse as a Blu-Ray critic to skim through everything else. That's not fair to decserning consumers like myself.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Yeah, c'mon...get the PiP details right.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

I give the review itself a 1 star, lmao....no offense

edit: well ok maybe a little offense
Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

This guy needs to be fired. What a fucking whiny baby.

I mean I've seen people here let the movies influence their reviews, but this is one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Crews View Post
While I respect a critics thoughts on the movie itself. I am most displeased with the half-assed technical portion of the review. You hardly wrote anything regarding the PQ and AQ and you also didn't detail any of the U-Control and Bd-Live features. Just because you don't like a particular movie doesn't give you the excuse as a Blu-Ray critic to skim through everything else. That's not fair to decserning consumers like myself.
I agree. I did not think the film was that great either, but the review is so bathed in anger that it's hard to find it as an objective review. Say what you will about the plot and the story, but that does not excuse the brevity presented in the audio/visual department. There are scathing reviews, such as the Steven Segal movie, "Out For Justice" which still has five paragraphs describing the video quality.

Very unprofessional review.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 PM

I'd have to agree with the general reaction to this review, so far. This is not a spectacular movie, by any stretch, but letting his hatred seep into the technical categories of the review is very amateurish.

This movie also has a 55% at Rotten Tomatoes. Take that how you will.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 PM

that review seemed a tad harsh, but its understandable since it is your opinion, still letting that affect the tech stuff is not a good idea. You got work on separating those things.
Closed Thread