I want to get true HD audio with my PS3 - how? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Default I want to get true HD audio with my PS3 - how?

Im a bit confused, I am learning though from all the research Ive done. Either way, Im in the market for a new receiver, but just dont want to pay for features that I wont ever use (like 7.1). I dont have a budget, but just want to spend on what I need, dont need anything super high end. Under $800 would be nice.

1) I was told that PS3 can in fact decode true HD audio - is this 100% true? I was also told that if I set the PS3 to PCM, then the PS3 does the decoding and I dont need a receiver with true HD audio to get true HD sound? True/False?

2) So Ive narrowed it down to Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo. Does the receiver need true HD audio and DTS HD or not?

This will give me a better picture of how much I really need to spend to get true HD audio on my bluray movies.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM

hey, i did some thorough research and i thnk im set on getting this one. $578 at visions right now. It can decode true HD audio and DTS HD.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...m=TX-SR606&p=i

good deal? good choice?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBrownsugar View Post
hey, i did some thorough research and i thnk im set on getting this one. $578 at visions right now. It can decode true HD audio and DTS HD.

good deal? good choice?
GREAT, reciever. I have it. you'll love it, but holy Sh1t are you overpaying!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...9674006&sr=8-1
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM

The PS3 will internally decode both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA so all you need is a receiver that has HDMI 1.3a. (I'm not sure if they still make them but make sure it's not HDMI passthrough, that won't play any audio thru the receiver.)

One thing to consider is that receivers that can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA have really come down in price so it may be worth it to get this feature simply to futureproof your investment a little. At some point you may end up with a standalone that doesn't decode everything and then you will be glad you went with a receiver that decodes everything.

Another major factor to consider is how many HDMI inputs the receiver has. It seems like just about everything is using HDMI now so it's better to have more inputs than you need rather than not enough.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Im a bit confused, I am learning though from all the research Ive done. Either way, Im in the market for a new receiver, but just dont want to pay for features that I wont ever use (like 7.1). I dont have a budget, but just want to spend on what I need, dont need anything super high end. Under $800 would be nice.

1) I was told that PS3 can in fact decode true HD audio - is this 100% true? I was also told that if I set the PS3 to PCM, then the PS3 does the decoding and I dont need a receiver with true HD audio to get true HD sound? True/False?

2) So Ive narrowed it down to Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo. Does the receiver need true HD audio and DTS HD or not?

This will give me a better picture of how much I really need to spend to get true HD audio on my bluray movies.
The PS3 does all the HD audio decoding for you and that includes DTHD and DTS-HD MA. The PS3 does not have a bitstream capability so it will send it to your receiver LPCM.

You will just need a receiver that will except PCM. I know several people with Onkyo receivers so I can only speak for them. Your receiver will not need DTHD or DTS-HD MA decoding capabilities, but I do recommend it. In the future you may buy a BD player with bitstream option and it is nice to read DTHD or DTS-HD MA on the receiver screen. You should find a few Onyko receivers for under $800. They are pretty solid and will do the trick. I have an Denon 3808 and love it, but it may be out of your price range.

If you are going to use the PS3 then your receiver will not read DTHD or DTS-HD MA. Depending on the receiver it will say something like Multi Ch In or something like that. This just tells you that you are receiving the PCM from the PS3.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck and enjoy HD audio. It kicks ass!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:

good deal? good choice?
There are a lot of people on here that use that exact receiver and it's gotten very good reviews.

That price is TERRIBLE though!!!

Amazon has it for $396 right now.

Edit... wormraper beat me to it... Go with Amazon, great prices and great customer service if you have an issue.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
GREAT, reciever. I have it. you'll love it, but holy Sh1t are you overpaying!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...9674006&sr=8-1
Im in Canada, I dont know but is it safe to buy electronics online? $580 is the lowest I can find it here.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Ah im outta luck with amazon.com. I thought they ship to canada?

Quote:
*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post
The PS3 does all the HD audio decoding for you and that includes DTHD and DTS-HD MA. The PS3 does not have a bitstream capability so it will send it to your receiver LPCM.

You will just need a receiver that will except PCM. I know several people with Onkyo receivers so I can only speak for them. Your receiver will not need DTHD or DTS-HD MA decoding capabilities, but I do recommend it. In the future you may buy a BD player with bitstream option and it is nice to read DTHD or DTS-HD MA on the receiver screen. You should find a few Onyko receivers for under $800. They are pretty solid and will do the trick. I have an Denon 3808 and love it, but it may be out of your price range.

If you are going to use the PS3 then your receiver will not read DTHD or DTS-HD MA. Depending on the receiver it will say something like Multi Ch In or something like that. This just tells you that you are receiving the PCM from the PS3.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck and enjoy HD audio. It kicks ass!!!
I know this sounds anal but I would like my receiver screen to show DTHD or DTS HD when I have it in that mode. I will most likely get the Onkyo or any receiver that has DTHD/DTSHD decoding capabilities. So if thats the case then i guess i can either set the PS3 to PCM or Bitstream and have the receiver decode it right?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Ah im outta luck with amazon.com. I thought they ship to canada?
Amazon.com doesn't ship electronics to Canada. Only books, movies, music, and video games.