‘Miracle at St. Anna’ - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 AM

Default ‘Miracle at St. Anna’ - High-Def Digest Review

Tom has reviewed ‘Miracle at St. Anna.’ He says this if far from Spike Lee's best. This Blu-ray has excellent video and audio and a pair of interesting featurettes, the movie itself holds this one back. Bad flick, good disc.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1964/miraclestanna.html
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Ironically, I watched this movie tonight. I'm not a Spike Lee guy, but I enjoyed it. Yes, it is long but it doesn't seem like it. Yes, there is a lot going on, so stick with it. Yes, there are distractions to the film, so focusing on the story instead of the shortcomings (racial overtones & other inconsistencies) will enhance the view.

**** out of 5
Buyer? No! I cannot see a re-view in the future.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Tis a shame. On paper, sounds like something that could be awesome.

I wanted to see this too but heard nothing but bad things. I try not to read reviews before I see something, but I was bombarded with bad word of mouth instantly from people I know. ONE person loved it.

I will try to watch it at some point but I'm in no rush. Too many other movies I want to see that I will probably have a better chance of liking.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 AM

Default Clint vs Spike

I google'd Clint Eastwood's response to Spike Lee after being curious about the reference in the beggining.

Very Funny.. Spike got pwn3d. Spike's comment to Clint was an Epic Fail.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363665,00.html
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 AM

I'll rent this...maybe.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Former Member

Tom, solid review. I agree with you fully on the things you mentioned, especially that the film ran way too long and needed a trim. I liked the film a bit more than you did, but I do agree with your points.

the fact that modern slang was in this film for even a single line was a real shame. ww2 films don't need '90's, 00's street talk.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I'll rent this...maybe.
Trying to do some penance before the Easter Holiday? (In other words why torture yourself?)

My review at Amazon (done when the film was first released) may look similar to the review here at HDD since we both seemed to have had the same problems with this film.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 AM

i actually enjoyed it. ..
Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 AM

I really enjoyed this film and unfortunately the reviewer here either didn't get it at all or simply decided not to write about it (aka the film) in his review, opting instead for tabloid fodder (eastwood-lee feud), plot summary, and a history lesson.

The mix of melodrama and seriousness is a staple of Italian Neo-realism, which this film was a complete homage to. I've expressed this more fully elsewhere on the forum in a St. Anna thread, so I am not going to repeat it all, but if you consider yourself a fan of Italian Neo-realist cinema, then you will thoroughly enjoy this film. For modern American audiences with little to no knowledge of what the film was trying to be, I guess it might be easy for them to find its cinematic and narrative style "confusing" or "odd."

Just some constructive criticism for the reviewer here, try to write more about the film itself (camerawork, narrative structure, acting, etc) in your reviews and less about tabloid news, which is not relevant to the film itself and a history lesson. We can all look up historical inaccuracies and such on iMDB, but accuracy has nothing to do with if a film "works" or not. Also, less plot summary...nearly half the review was plot synopsis and not film criticism.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 AM

I saw this in the theater. I did enjoy it...but it is a long movie to get into. As far as a buy.....meh...probably not. Really no replay value here,imho.