'Marley & Me' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Default 'Marley & Me' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'Marley & Me.' He says this film was a pleasant surprise. (Editor's Note - I agree. Wasn't expecting to like this one at all!) This Blu-ray has great video and audio and few good supplements. Worth a purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2122/marleyme.html
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Thumbs down

I read the book and loved it. My wife is a HUGE dog lover. We watched this movie last weekend and got half way through and turned it off and returned it to the rental store. It was boring, boring, boring. We hardly ever don't watch movies to the conclusion, but this one was a big pile of dog turd!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM

This movie made me cry like a little girl-LOL!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Wow. I thought this movie was very good. I have read the book and it was very close to the book. There were a couple of scenes that were left out but overall the main scenes that tied to the book were in there. This was a purchase for me and I was not let down.

On a side note, I was never a big Jennifer Anniston fan, but she played very well in this movie and I actually liked her.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM

This seems like a movie I would love, and I wanted to buy it, but I can't afford the current price for a blind buy. I've learned my lesson.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, I truly disagree with this review. Though, as with anything, it is a matter of opinion.

I felt the movie was a shameless, money making attempt on a great book. The book tied life's everyday trails and tribulations in with the joys and frustrations of raising a crazy dog. The movie just seemed empty, meandering, and disjointed. The charm wasn't there, the casting was terrible, and the dog was thrown in for cheap attempts at manipulating the viewer's emotions. Maybe I should lower my expectations of Hollywood these days.

Movie: 2/5
Picture: 4/5
Sound: 4/5
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Well it worked because I was balling my eyes out! LOL I liked the movie though.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burby View Post
Unfortunately, I truly disagree with this review. Though, as with anything, it is a matter of opinion.

I felt the movie was a shameless, money making attempt on a great book. The book tied life's everyday trails and tribulations in with the joys and frustrations of raising a crazy dog. The movie just seemed empty, meandering, and disjointed. The charm wasn't there, the casting was terrible, and the dog was thrown in for cheap attempts at manipulating the viewer's emotions. Maybe I should lower my expectations of Hollywood these days.

Movie: 2/5
Picture: 4/5
Sound: 4/5
You nailed it. The real problem is that Owen Wilson is a TURD and Heath Ledger and him should switch places. Jennifer Aniston(the queen of zero-talent hollywood chicks) is another one of those over-hyped people from that TV show Friends that happens to be pretty so everyone clamors over her. As usual, Aniston choses completely unchallenging roles in sappy romantic comedy BARF-fests. Sure, she cashing those $20 million dollar checks, and thats great...but we are still waiting for a real, poignant performance from her in a serious film. Dont hold your breath.

And to think how many blank blu-ray discs were ruined by copying this film onto them.... just an atrocity.

You better lower your expectations with crap like this. Some people payed MONEY to see this too. Dont worry, the sequel is coming: You, Me, Marly, Me, and Dupree.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

I read the book and really feel the movie improved on it. There were parts of the book that worked, but a lot of sections were REALLY cringe-inducing. The movie seemed to shed a few layers of sappy sweetness. Like I said, I was really surprised at how much I liked it.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm not a pet lover, so i could care less.

I have no interest in watching this, or reading the source material.

That is all.