How is Akira? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Default How is Akira?

Akira is one of the greatest and probably most classic anime movies ever. I am wondering if anyone on here has picked it up. I already have it on DVD, but I was wondering if the blu ray would be worth it. It hasn't been reviewed yet either. It is always kinda hard to tell if anime on blu ray will be much better than on DVD so I was looking for someone else's opinion before I spent $35 on it. Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Blu-ray.com's review.

DVDBeaver's review.

Behind the remaster.

Oh, and you can get it for under $30 at Tower and DVDPacific.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 PM

bd is well worth it.
far better than any previous dvd version.
looks and sounds fantastic.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM

I'll pick this up eventually as it's one of my favorite anime films but I'll be holding on to my steelcase Special Edition DVD as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM

The sound alone is worth the upgrade. I think I sat with my jaw hanging open for most of the movie.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 PM

I really want to get my sound upgraded. I have a good HDTV but because I am in college and have lived in the dorms and now in an apartment I havent felt like it was the right time to get a nice, big, loud sound system since there is always other people around that might get annoyed. As soon as I am living on my own I am going to have go back and watch all these movies that get these amazing sound reviews since I have never really experienced any sound other than coming from the TV.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillman926 View Post
I really want to get my sound upgraded. I have a good HDTV but because I am in college and have lived in the dorms and now in an apartment I havent felt like it was the right time to get a nice, big, loud sound system since there is always other people around that might get annoyed. As soon as I am living on my own I am going to have go back and watch all these movies that get these amazing sound reviews since I have never really experienced any sound other than coming from the TV.
If you are looking for a fairly cheap and expandable solution , take a look at Onkyo HTX 22 HD:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/accessorie...99637-1,00.htm

I bought the 2+1 set and later expanded it to 5+1: great sound at a good value while being still small and without being intrusive as space goes...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Thumbs up

Like all Honneamise releases, Akira is incredible. I highly recommend all of Honneamise's Blu-ray Discs. They use the best sources available without any use of DNR/EE or other unwanted processing.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/h/products_next.html

If you haven't seen it, the FREEDOM box set is another must have.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Awesome transfer with awesome audio. the music sounds 10x better. the only drawback is the lack of extras but i'm sure all Akira lovers probably own the SE DVD already so it's not a big deal.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM

The disk is just sex in a blue box, if you listen to the Japanese track. Don't bother with the crappy English Panny translation.