Slumdog Millionaire review anytime soon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Slumdog Millionaire review anytime soon?

Am I the only one to find it odd that THE movie of the year has yet to be reviewed? I mean they do have 6-7 reviewers now. Any particular reason?
Dont get me wrong, i dont mean to sound too whiney or complaining, i just find it odd.

I was hesitating on a blind buy since my girl loved it and well... Every one else i know did too, but id like to see HDD's view on it first. I guess you could even see this tread as a compliment
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM

I'm just curious if they put the occasional subtitles for the movie as a subtitle track. The boxes they used in theaters may be a tad difficult to read on smaller TVs.

The movie isn't for everybody, it's very much a fable and quite stylized (some parts come off as mini-music videos), those looking for a ton of realism and straight forward narrative may be a little disappointed (I mean, it is a straight forward narrative, but.. whatever.) I thought it was a pretty damn good movie.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:29 PM

I plan on getting this eventually, but I do like reading the reviews first.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 PM

I watching my BD copy with Boyle & Patel Commentary.

LOL Danny mentions that the "Noise, Grain" will be more noticeable on Blu-ray and says that's "it's intentional."
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Great movie. Never thought a film that started out with a torture secuence would turn out this heartwarming.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM

PQ-to me it seemed subpar, grainy at times. I know grainy is a look directors may go for sometimes, but I'm not a fan.

AQ-the DTS MA HD audio track is great! Several times I had to lower the volume, as I live in an apartment.

The movie itself-It really failed to catch my interest 1/3 to 1/2 way through, but as the story unraveled, it grabbed my focus quickly. Great story, but loved the way it was directed. It didn't have a simple beginning to end plot.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darczap View Post
PQ-to me it seemed subpar, grainy at times. I know grainy is a look directors may go for sometimes, but I'm not a fan.

AQ-the DTS MA HD audio track is great! Several times I had to lower the volume, as I live in an apartment.
Yeah I was tempted to put on the dynamic range at times, the music goes from 0 to 10 at certain scenes.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

i thought the pq was ok, some scenes are a lot better than others, the night scenes i didn't think looked all that great

aq was great though (helicopter at the beginning was great, music all sounded good)
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Watched it last night. Very good movie but I guess I went in with too high of an expectation. Glad I rented it as I don't plan to add this to my collection.

Mark
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 PM

i think HDD has come up on hard times right now like all of us. it seems to me if they dont get it for free, they dont review it anymore. hey i totally understand, money isnt exactly growing on trees these days....