'Role Models' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM

Default 'Role Models' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom has reviewed ’Role Models.’ He says it wasn't for him (Editor's Note - I turned this one off after 15 LONG minutes). This Blu-ray offers video and audio that's a step up from DVD, but nothing incredible. Supplements are fairly expansive. Rent this one first.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2041/rolemodels.html
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Formerly metsfan1545d

i disagree 100%, sean william scott and that little black kid (i dont know his name) had me laughing my ass of everytime they opened there mouth this entire film
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Default Spot On

I agree completely with this review. I did not see what all the fuss was about with this movie. It was not that funny. Jane Lynch had me laughing in some lines, but overall, I would much rather watch 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, etc. Role Models just wasn't funny to me and I am glad I watched it before buying it. I would have been very disappointed.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Yeah, I actually thought this was one of the top comedies of last year. I'm a huge fan of David Wain and crew (The only VHS tapes left in my collection are old recordings of the State---still waiting for that dvd) and felt that yes, it did have a formulaic concept , but it still had a unique enough voice to stand out from the other "bro-mance" (sigh) movies that are coming out by the truck load. There are copies of the original script floating around out there and if you compare it to the movie we have today, Wain and Rudd pulled an all out miracle.

That said, the special features alone make the BD worth buying. I'm excited for David Wain's success with this film and can't wait to see what he'll be able to do with an even bigger budget and project all his own.

Stella movie WHAT
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Hmmmm, is it better than Sex Drive?

Sex Drive was pretty good.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Hmmmm, is it better than Sex Drive?

Sex Drive was pretty good.
I found Sex Drive to be a pretty "generic" movie, but to be honest, it probably had about the same "LOL Moment" ratio as "Role Models" has. I'd still put Role Models a step above it though, just because its a better made movie and the punch lines to the jokes are just delivered way better.

As far as the Highdef Digest review goes, I find it odd that I had the exact opposite reaction to this film. I thought the opening scenes were some of the funniest moments of this film. I laughed my ass off at all the energy drink shenanigans...and then I found that the laugh out loud moments slowly tapered off throughout the film so it would have that "feel good..."see the movie isn't THAT dirty"" vibe to it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:05 AM

Each to their own really... especially where comedy movies are concerned.
Personally, I thought Role Models was the funniest movie I had seen since 40-Year-Old Virgin!

Jane Lynch was one of the highlights for me, with her over-the-top hardnosed attitude and perverse mind. And McLovin was also a highlight... pretty much all the way through.

What I liked most about the film, though, is all the little sexual inuendos that come up in the dialogue...
"I shall approach him from the rear!"
"I would love to see you penetrate me again!"
and my personal favourite:
"Now, exit my burger-hole boy!"

Classic!

Last edited by CriticalMass; 04-01-2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM

my opinion is about the exact opposite of this review as well, but tom landy did come through for me in mentioning the huge fanbase at the beginning. at first i was like WHHHHAAAATTTT???? A 2/5!!!!?????? then i saw his opening statement.

for me, i thought this was no doubt the funniest movie since superbad and superbad is one of the funniest movies of all time IMO up with 40 year old, wedding crashers, and harold and kumar go to white castle. maybe i love this because i love paul rudd, idk, i thought the supporting characters were comically brilliant too. of course jane lynch was funny and i'll add to the sexual innuendos mentioned above "I'm not hear to service you, i'm hear to service these young boys".

as for the other supporting characters, i had no idea who A.D. Miles was, who played the red headed martin gary but he made me laugh my ass off at everything he said, and his one particular "rewind" scene was one of his best, i wish they kept that in. i didnt know that ken jeong had all that comedy in him to play the king, with all those hints that he's gay jokes and near the end where christopher mint plasse's character's mom says hi augie and he goes hi mom, only to be cut off my ken jeong yelling "YOU SHUT UP WHORE!". very funny, very funny. also joe lo truglio was very funny as the bearded lair player "RUB A DUB DUB". and of course, the 2 leading stars and 2 supporting stars were hilarious.

but back to the point, i loved this and didnt realize the vast differences in opinions this film has.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM

I fall in the totally disagree with the review camp as well. I thought this was one hilarious movie. Not quite as funny as the directors earlier movies, Ten and Wet, Hot, American Summer but still very funny.

This review suprised me almost as much as the totally inacurate review for King Kong a month or so ago. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM

I thought this was a pretty funny movie granted it leaned a bit to much too schmaltzy towards the end but Williams and the little black guy had me in stitches as did Jane Lynch who must have been ad-libbing as I doubt you can actually sit down and type the rambling rubbish she was talking plus the her 'what does this remind you of' hotdog bit was hysterical.

Probably could have had a bit shaved off the running time.