Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Vanishing Point' - High-Def Digest

Josh has reviewed 'Vanishing Point.' He says this is a fun 70s B-movie that's still entertaining after all these years. This Blu-ray has disappointing video, decent audio, but some pretty impressive bonus features. Recommended.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1923...hingpoint.html

Space_Butler is offline Founding Member

It isn't humanly possible for me to disagree more with the PQ score. That's all I'll say, since Josh loves to come in and fight about/defend (depending on your point of view) his critical eye.
    Blu-ray's: 234
    60gb PS3 w/ 320gb hdd, 360 Pro + 120gb HDD, Wii

krylonman is offline Member

"About the only wrong note that the movie strikes is a pointless bit of business with some gay hitchhikers who try to carjack Kowalski. The homophobic stereotypes are dated and offensive. Fortunately, the scene is very brief."

That was what kept me away from this thus far, even though it's otherwise the kind of thing I'd love to see. It gets a mention in The Celluloid Closet, and seeing that scene, along with someone describing the audience cheering it, really put a bad taste in my mouth. Is it really not that big of a deal when it comes to enjoying the movie, though? I can totally just sigh, shake my head and move on if it has that little to do with the movie as a whole.

(And does he mention it in the commentary? I'd love to hear that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    It isn't humanly possible for me to disagree more with the PQ score. That's all I'll say, since Josh loves to come in and fight about/defend (depending on your point of view) his critical eye.
    Aw, at least say whether you think it looks better or worse.

Space_Butler is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
    "About the only wrong note that the movie strikes is a pointless bit of business with some gay hitchhikers who try to carjack Kowalski. The homophobic stereotypes are dated and offensive. Fortunately, the scene is very brief."

That was what kept me away from this thus far, even though it's otherwise the kind of thing I'd love to see. It gets a mention in The Celluloid Closet, and seeing that scene, along with someone describing the audience cheering it, really put a bad taste in my mouth. Is it really not that big of a deal when it comes to enjoying the movie, though? I can totally just sigh, shake my head and move on if it has that little to do with the movie as a whole.

Aw, at least say whether you think it looks better or worse.
    The scene is relatively short. It's unflattering but I still routinely see worse on tv today. If anything its rather tame for when it came out (to me at least)

And I definitely think it looks better.
    Blu-ray's: 234
    60gb PS3 w/ 320gb hdd, 360 Pro + 120gb HDD, Wii

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by krylonman View Post

It really has very little to do with the movie. The scene is maybe a minute long and isn't terribly important to the plot. You can sigh, shake your head, and move on.

Sarafian doesn't say anything notable about the scene in the commentary, other than pointing out that one of the actors has since passed away. He makes no mention of the offensive nature of the stereotypes. But then, he's an old man now and probably still doesn't realize that they're offensive.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

dac_fan is offline Member

Vanishing Point was in my opinion the best car chase movie ever made. I love the movie and the 1970 Dodge Challenger is my favorite car of all time. Everyone should check this movie out especially if you love old muscle cars. Also on a side note I'd just like to point out that the review is not accurate, the car is not super charged it has a 440 magnum. The remake from the mid 90's had a Hemi.
    I love pie

Red Skies is offline Member

Can someone confirm, 100%, this is region locked?

I've tried the usual sites but can't find a definitive answer, although being a Fox release I'm deducing it will be

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies View Post
    Can someone confirm, 100%, this is region locked?

I've tried the usual sites but can't find a definitive answer, although being a Fox release I'm deducing it will be

YES definately LOCKED

Red Skies is offline Member

Cheers AussieUnited.

Quote Originally Posted by dac_fan View Post
    Also on a side note I'd just like to point out that the review is not accurate, the car is not super charged it has a 440 magnum.
    I'm pretty sure there was dialogue in the movie mentioning that it was supercharged. It may have been one of the cops just speculating without real proof, but I don't recall any specific mention of the engine being a 440.

I know that in 'Death Proof', Zoe Bell talks about a "1970 Dodge Challenger with 440 engine and white paint job like the one Kowalski drove in Vanishing Point", but I don't remember anyone in Vanishing Point actually saying their car had a 440 engine.

I could be wrong. If you know of a scene, I'll check it out.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

I don't know of a scene in particular, I just know being a MOPAR fanatic. I know pretty much all there is to know about the Dodge Challenger and I know about the cars used in the movie. Here's a neat little fact for you, the car that crashes at the end is actually a camaro. If you look closely you can see the camaro's hood go flying.
    I love pie

aydu is offline Member

I read many of the reviews on this site and agree with most of what is said about the films I've seen.

The reviewer really missed the boat on the review of Vanishing Point. This movie has literally nothing to do with car chases, and all about freedom.

Kowalski was symbolic of the disappearance of freedom in America. His race was not to deliver a car, but to outrun a society that was closing in on him.

I've seen every version of this film from the initial theatrical release through VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, and now Blu-ray. The film has never looked better than on Blu.
    Considering the budget of the film and the limited film schedule, I'm amazed it looks anywhere near this good.

Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Considering the budget of the film and the limited film schedule, I'm amazed it looks anywhere near this good.
    And it would look even better, if they didn't muck up the transfer with edge enhancement.
    Josh Z

krylonman is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    It really has very little to do with the movie. The scene is maybe a minute long and isn't terribly important to the plot. You can sigh, shake your head, and move on.

Sarafian doesn't say anything notable about the scene in the commentary, other than pointing out that one of the actors has since passed away. He makes no mention of the offensive nature of the stereotypes. But then, he's an old man now and probably still doesn't realize that they're offensive.
    Thanks for the response! This is why I love this site so much.

(Sarafian's son, by the way, was part of one of the funniest commentary tracks I've ever heard, for the immortal Italian "classic" Zombi 3. He starred in it, and he and the lead actress spend the entire time making fun of the movie and talking about who was sleeping with who else on the shoot. If only it was like father, like son.)

Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    I read many of the reviews on this site and agree with most of what is said about the films I've seen.

The reviewer really missed the boat on the review of Vanishing Point. This movie has literally nothing to do with car chases, and all about freedom.

Kowalski was symbolic of the disappearance of freedom in America. His race was not to deliver a car, but to outrun a society that was closing in on him.
    I agree with you 100% (the car is still badass though)
    I love pie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast