Criterion: The Seventh Seal (June 16) + Last Year at Marienbad (June 23) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-16-2009, 11:50 PM

Default Criterion: The Seventh Seal (June 16) + Last Year at Marienbad (June 23)

Criterion has listed two new Blus today:

Last Year at Marienbad: http://www.criterion.com/films/1517

The Seventh Seal: http://www.criterion.com/films/173
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Former Member

the new art for the Seventh Seal is OUTSTANDING.

i don't think it's a good sign that the dvd lists at 29.95 with the Blu-ray at 39.95, accd'ing to their site, though. one of my favorite things about the criterion releases has been their matching of MSRP's, creating some amazing bargains.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 PM

I agree about the pricing. Well, at least, Last Year at Marienbad will be $39.95 for the DVD and the Blu-ray editions.

But didn't Criterion say, when they made the first announcement about going to Blu-ray, that Blu and DVD prices would be the same?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 AM

It looks like they just lowered the DVD price for Seventh Seal, rather than raise the BD MSRP (maybe because they already released it on DVD?) Doesn't Criterion usually charge $39.95 MSRP for 2 disc DVD sets?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 AM

I look forward to seeing a head to head comparison with the UK version, which by all accounts has excellent PQ and a great set of extra features as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
I agree about the pricing. Well, at least, Last Year at Marienbad will be $39.95 for the DVD and the Blu-ray editions.

But didn't Criterion say, when they made the first announcement about going to Blu-ray, that Blu and DVD prices would be the same?
The initial pricing on the site is was/is a typo. No worries.

Pro-B
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 AM

Ingmar Bergman is one of my top directors. Although this isn't my personal favorite Bergman film, it is of course the most obvious and best choice to release first and still one of the greatest movies ever. I am very very excited.

Excited for Last Year at Marienbad as well.

Cool news.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
I look forward to seeing a head to head comparison with the UK version, which by all accounts has excellent PQ and a great set of extra features as well.
I have the UK edition and the extras are different, so I am not sure about selling it yet...but I will have to do so soon. The UK edition has on-set footage (with commentary by Ian Christie) of the making of Seventh Seal (15 min.) and a 1984 Bergman short called "Karin's Face." There is also a trailer.

The Criterion sounds like it will be better:

New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003

Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie

A new afterword to the commentary by Cowie

Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director

Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow

A 1998 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen

Theatrical trailer

Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie

Optional English-dubbed soundtrack

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins

I just wonder if the extras will be in HD?

Last edited by bluskiessmingatme; 03-17-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

more great news although I already own the UK "seventh seal"
it is deleted now so good news for others wanting to see this seminal film on bd.
the uk version is now only available from sellers who, of course, have jacked up the price to absurd levels.
btw: home theater magazine has a big article on Criterion in the current issue.
Criterion says they plan to start offering 2 bds a month.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
more great news although I already own the UK "seventh seal"
it is deleted now so good news for others wanting to see this seminal film on bd.
the uk version is now only available from sellers who, of course, have jacked up the price to absurd levels.
btw: home theater magazine has a big article on Criterion in the current issue.
Criterion says they plan to start offering 2 bds a month.
Yay! Maybe I can use it to fund my purchase of the Criterion and another Criterion as well.