'The Silence of the Lambs' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM

Default 'The Silence of the Lambs' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'The Silence of the Lambs.' He says this is simply a modern classic. This Blu-ray is fine, with good video and audio, and juicy supplements. Tech specs are lacking, but this is definitely worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/586/...fthelambs.html
Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Great review and great movie. In the video section, Peter says the movie is encoded with Mpeg-2, but the side bar states Mpeg-4. Which one is correct?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

It's MPEG2.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM

I think this title deserved a full frame by frame restoration (like Blade Runner) and given better than MPEG 2.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM

It's too bad this version is missing the Jodie Foster/Jonathan Demme interviews that were included on the most recent version. They were an hour long and brand new.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-def-fanboy View Post
I think this title deserved a full frame by frame restoration (like Blade Runner) and given better than MPEG 2.
I agree but since I have never bought this in any format this is the version of it for me to own.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM

What's with this line in the review?

Quote:
this is a decent encode for MPEG-2
Um MPEG-2 doesn't mean "lower your expectations." There are several BDs using MPEG-2 with excellent PQ.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 PM

yeah and the criterion dvd i have is, in my opinion, horrible so this is a huge step up
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -zombie- View Post
Um MPEG-2 doesn't mean "lower your expectations." There are several BDs using MPEG-2 with excellent PQ.
No, MPEG-2 doesn't instantly mean "horrible PQ"...... but, it is a codec that, on average, produces encodes that have more noticeable artifacts than the other options out there.

MPEG-2 is not by any means a bad codec and I don't think Peter means that at all.... it just isn't as refined as AVC or VC-1 (and I don't think anyone can refute that). And, in this case, with the bitrates we're talking about (~ 18 mbps average) there are more than a few artifacts which is to be expected from the codec at those rates.

Also, most of the reference and decent looking releases with MPEG-2 are on BD-50s, encoded for that spec. Silence is not. This encode was most likely produced for the original cancelled blu-ray which was supposed to be a BD-25. Its file size is a mere 22 gigs which, for MPEG-2, on a film that is 2 hours long, is less than "optimal".

Silence by no means looks terrible though.... and this isn't a Fifth Element or Echo Bridge style release that barely looks HD. As I think Pete makes it quite clear this has a decent picture for blu-ray. Not the best the film could look and it's not a reference quality disc by any means but, at least to me, this is a noticeable upgrade over any version before. It's worth a buy at the right price (I only paid $12 for mine and that was way more than a good deal for me).

Now, Peter, a few comments on the review.... you don't mention that the blu-ray has a new 20 minute special feature called "Understanding the Madness". It's the only feature in 1080p AVC/MPEG-4. And, not that it really matters but, the short Hopkins "Phone Messege" is absent from your review too.

Also, about the picture-in-picture track..... it's not really Profile 1.1 but rather a second standard def (not a typo) encode with the burnt in PiP commentary and faux pop-up trivia. Again, a standard definition encode - with 2.0 Dolby Digital sound. Strange as hell if you ask me....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Also, anyone using the included HD trailer as a reference point needs to stop. If you look at it more closely you can see that it's stretched. The framing may be different than the BD (closer to the Criterion DVD) and the grain more filmlike.... but it's stretched and the grain is more intense that it sould be (niether the BD nor the trailer is correct with the amount of grain IMO).

Again, that trailer is not a reference point.