'The Pink Panther (1963)' - HIgh-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Default 'The Pink Panther (1963)' - HIgh-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'The Pink Panther.' He says this isn't the classic comedy you might be expecting. (Editor's Note - The Second Panther film, 'A Shot In The Dark,' is significantly better!) This Blu-ray looks terrific however, with strong video and audio and plenty of extras. Give this a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1851...nther1963.html
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM

I agree with the review for the most part, although I would probably rate it a bit higher. I can't wait A shot in the Dark!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM

You must be right, Mike. While 'The Pink Panther' does not even make AFI's Top 100 Comedies list, 'A Shot in the Dark' does, at #48, I believe. I'll have to check it out if it ever gets a Blu release.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM

As much as I love Peter Sellers and the Pink Panther series, I can't disagree with the review. The first film is pretty weak... A Shot in the Dark is a much more of a dark comedy with slapstick elements, and is a much better film... for pure anarchy and silliness, The Pink Panther Strikes Again is the king -- and my favorite of the series.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Yeeee-ouch, what a burn; at least no one can accuse you of being dishonest. I think this movie is hysterical, myself. Sorry you didn't like it better!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 PM

This one is pretty slow. He doesn't even have an accent half the time. We showed this as an outdoor movie at a family BBQ a few years back, and everyone, even my wife, who LOVES Peter Sellers and the Pink Panther movies, was ready to fall asleep by the end.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I think comedy is one of--if not the--most subjective genre. It seems to call upon a person's accumulated experience, to a large extent. I can understand why a person might not be crazy about this film the same way I can understand why my 11-year old cousin generally prefers the new Star Wars films to the originals. Having grown up in a French/English environment and watching this film repeatedly (on video, child of the 80's) as a youngster it holds a special place in my heart, but there's more than enough room to view it as a rather tepid artifact of its time which ironically is also part of its personal appeal (like Perry Como's "Magic Moments").
I did think the sequels got progressively worse but I love the original Pink Panther. To each his/her own.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM

What was with all the food comparisons. Felt like I was reading a review of McDonalds.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM

I had always assumed this was the best one -- and the follow-ups were all shameless cash-ins -- but I watched this the other day and it's not what I was expecting. All the PP clips I remember as a child must have been from the sequels.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM

I pretty much agree with the review, as well as the editor's note: A Shot in the Dark really is a much greater, funnier movie.
I haven't seen the films in a few years, but from what I recall A Shot in the Dark, Return of the Pink Panther, and Pink Panther Strikes Again are the 3 really great ones. Revenge is decent but is starting a slide in quality, and everything else afterwards (post Peter Seller's death) is entirely forgettable.