Kingdom Of Heaven - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Kingdom Of Heaven

I just realized that there hasn't been a review of Kingdom Of Heaven yet. This was supposed to be the title other than Black Hawk Down that "showed of" what Blu-Ray could do with the 50gb disc. I thought Fox was supposed to have this title jammed with special features, yet after looking at the copies we have there is only 1 special feature and it's "Start Menu Technology" which HD-DVD has had since day 1.

How can a 50gb title not have not 1 special feature? And better yet how can a 50gb title only have 1 audio option, DTS HD 5.1 Surround only? You'd think they could fit some kind of Dolby track on a 50gb disc with no special features, personally I would expect a TrueHD track.

This appears to be yet another 50gb disc that is a bust and another Fox title that takes advantage of the consumer.

It's a good thing Warner & Paramount are backing Blu-Ray otherwise Blu-Ray would be without any good titles ported over from HD-DVD.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMinded View Post
I just realized that there hasn't been a review of Kingdom Of Heaven yet. This was supposed to be the title other than Black Hawk Down that "showed of" what Blu-Ray could do with the 50gb disc.
The film is more than 3 hours long, with a 24Mbps video bitrate and lossless DTS-HD:MA. The 4-disc DC DVD has several hours of special features. Where would they put it?
Quote:
How can a 50gb title not have not 1 special feature? And better yet how can a 50gb title only have 1 audio option, DTS HD 5.1 Surround only? You'd think they could fit some kind of Dolby track on a 50gb disc with no special features, personally I would expect a TrueHD track.
The audio track is a full lossless soundtrack, same as TrueHD.
Quote:
It's a good thing Warner & Paramount are backing Blu-Ray otherwise Blu-Ray would be without any good titles ported over from HD-DVD.
Why do people automatically assume their tastes define the success of formats? I hated "King Kong", but it's supposedly The Savior when it comes to HD DVD. Of course, HD DVD isn't above barebones discs.

See also: The sticky for this area that reads "Format bashing not allowed on this board!"

Last edited by zombieflanders; 12-01-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 PM

There is no format bashing in my post, I'm bashing the disc itself and it's pricing. I simply stated the facts as far as Kingdom Of Heaven is concerned and it's 50gb disc. DTS HD might be lossless but there is no way to hear the full lossless track since no machine is capable to decoding it fully at this time.

You mention King Kong as being barebones, but it is far from it. It has a U-Control feature that runs the entire length of the movie, that is far from barebones and King Kong is a 30gb title, which means that surely a 50gb disc would have at least a few features. Kingdom Of Heaven doesn't even have an audio commentary or theatrical trailer.

There is no way Kingdom Of Heaven filled up the entire 50gb of disc with just the movie itself. Superman Returns is over 2 and a half hours long and has an hour 2 hour documentary on it as well and it fit fine on a 50gb disc.

What is the point of a 50gb disc if all you can fit on it is a movie and no features yet a 30gb HD-DVD can fit the movie, Dolby TrueHD and hours of special features as well?

All I'm saying is that Blu-Ray needs to show what these discs can do or admit they are having issues with adding special features on titles for whatever reason.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 PM

The PQ for Kingdom isn't bad. The sound is good too even though it is downmixed. I did watch King Kong right after this one & was kinda scratching my head. King Kong really looks great from start to finish. You'd think there was some restoration done before the high-def transfer or it got some Lucas treatment.. yep KK is that good.

Kingdom is no slouch either, but if I was forced to pick a fav between the 2 (PQ wise) I'd go with Kong. Sound wise, I'd go for Kingdom.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe they are not filling the BD-50's as they want to give an excuse to release additional SKUs down the road to cash in? However, the public is a bit more clued up about this nowadays, I'm not sure whether they are so easily duped.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:01 AM

The size of just the film of Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-ray is almost 42GB at a bitrate of 29.4 for both video and audio. Very high quality.