‘Repo! The Genetic Opera’ - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Default ‘Repo! The Genetic Opera’ - High-Def Digest Review

As a midday bonus, we have a review by Nate Boss, who many of you
already know quite well from the HDD forums.

Nate has reviewed ‘Repo! The Genetic Opera.’ His take on the film is
pretty clear: “Bravi! Bravi! Bravisime! The Genetic Opera is good!”
This Blu-ray has effective, but quite unusual video, exceptional
audio, and good supplements. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1981...eticopera.html
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM

The site is not up yet. Can't wait to read a reviews from N8boss.

Never mind. It's there now.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM

I loathed this movie worse than any movie I have seen in the past year. I bought it on Blu-Ray, watched 15 minutes of it then turned it off and sold it. I finished the movie up before shipping it out so I can say I at least gave the whole thing a chance but this must be a love it or hate it type of thing. I didn't like one second of it.

The singing was terrible too.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

There are moments in this movie that are really cool. Unfortunately 90% of it is total tripe.

SOOO glad I decided to cancel my pre-order at the last minute and Netflix it.

I feel like I should explain a little more. Repo wants really badly to be another Rocky Horror Picture Show. The premise of the movie on it's surface is interesting. A disease ravages all of humanity. It destroys internal organs. One company sells organs. It gets them by killing people that are behind on their payments. At least, I think that's what it's about.

The unknowing daughter of one of these repo guys, the most notorious one in fact, accidentally finds herself in the city with victims of the disease and in particular, a grave robber who extracts the cure for the disease from corpses. He's always popping up like the Crypt Keeper to sing some exposition.

The girl's mother is dead, but her mother's friend is some sort of famous performer. this part is played by that chick that sings The Phantom of the Operah on Broadway. Sarah Brannaman I think? She has a cool costume and intense contact lenses. She also shoots holo-images from her eyes a la R2-D2. No I'm not kidding.

Anyway, there's some sort of singing confrontation at the end that seemed like it was supposed to be an emotional experience but I was just struggling to understand the words so I could figure out what was going on.

Oh and the music and singing usually wasn't very good, but sometimes it was ok.

Anyway, rent if you're interested. You might find yourself fast-forwarding a lot.

Last edited by Fettastic; 02-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM

I really liked this film lol. I don't like opera music, but everyone's voices were terrific, but more importantly for me, the movie visually was AMAZING. I agree with the reviewer's take on Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag. She definitely steals the show, and even with her creepy haunting fake eyes, is beautiful looking. The movie just is so unique in almost every way I ended up loving it. Far from the best movie or anything nuts like that, but I did really enjoy it
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM

I really really liked this flick. And I hate musicals, I even didnt like Sweeney Todd to the dismay of a lot of people, but I dunno something about this worked for me, I have only seen the SD dvd, so I cant wait to pick up the BD, sound should rock socks.

And I also developed a huge crush on Alexa Vega, til I found out she was the girl from Spy Kids and then I felt kinda dirty.......
Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Great review, Nathan...I was really fond of it, as well..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM

I enjoyed it (friend imported the DVD), and i hate musical-type movies :S

Thought the music was pretty cool.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
And I also developed a huge crush on Alexa Vega, til I found out she was the girl from Spy Kids and then I felt kinda dirty.......

Tell you as someone once told me.

There is no reason to fell ashamed of liking her, she is female and legal isn't she
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Lol Alexa Vega was in my home town filming a movie last year.